adke001458 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007

Access VBA - Libraries and Plug-Ins HELP

Hi,

I have created a system in Microsoft Access that directly links to a Microsoft SharePoint database.

Having checked the libraries I am using the following are checked:

Visual Basic For Applications
    Microsoft Access 15.0 Object Library
    OLE Automation
    Microsoft Office 15.0 Access database engine Object Library

I need to write a project report on the libraries and plug-ins I have used and their purpose. I am unsure what the uses of these are.

I can make up that I have used particular other libraries or plug-ins too but I'm not familiar enough with any of them to talk about them.

Please could someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Adam

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't have Access 2013 but those references look the default references that Access uses when the file is created. They are always there. You may be able to remove a couple of them. The point is that you are not necessarily using them. They are common and you might be able to get a way with not using two of them.

Have you tried researching what the references are for? I think the lesson calls for you to explain what you have created in your DB and what references do they use and how. Have you created anything in your DB?

Windows 8 Access 2007
    Hi,

Thank you for your response.

The database I am using is a direct link to a SharePoint database so I am not creating anything with it.

I have a number of forms linking to specific fields in the database and I also reference the database for example when using search functions.

Essentially, I may have not been clear enough; but I am just trying to work out which libraries there are in VBA and what are there general uses so I can talk about how I could have used them etc. And the same with plug-ins.

For example the MsgBox or DMax function are these all from libraries?

Thanks
    Adam

I do not think you have to use VBA in order to use a reference defined under tools>References. One example would be a control on a form that depends on OLE. Newer versions (available controls) do different things that I may be unaware of but a basic picture control that does not depend on an attachment field should require the OLE reference. No VBA is required to create and use the picture control during RunTime.

This control will depend on OLE if the picture needs to be linked to or even, I believe, embedded. A different control that uses an attachment field to display a picture or file, I believe uses the ACE engine, two different references and no need to use VBA.

Using an existing DB or creating a DB is of no consequence. Define the question in the lesson first.

Windows 8 Access 2007
    Do you want me to explain the whole system? I am quite confused.

As mentioned, I am only trying to gain an understanding of the libraries and plug-ins you can use within VBA Access.. or the most common ones? And then write about them and how I could have used them in my project report.

Thanks for your response,
    Adam

Considering only post #1 I believe you are confused about the topic. My posts are an effort to create a launching pad for your research.

Considering post #3 you deviated from your original quest and mentioned VBA. If your objective is to write about all possible references and add ins you will need to do considerable research. To help, I mention that VBA is not essential to add ins and references. I also mention that I am unsure about my comments in the hope that you research it.

Considering post #5. No I do not care to hear an explanation of the whole system. Others may but, do not post it for my benefit. As for common references well, the default ones are pretty common. You could start your research there.

I touched on OLE and ACE. I would suggest going back to post one and maybe see if you can gain some insight by looking at the thread again. Your questions are too broad. Get some understanding so you can ask questions on specifics.

Xipooo is offline Sr. Database Developer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Each one of the libraries points to files which assist in the operation of Access. Essentially anything you do in VBA will need a reference to a file which can handle the code you write.

You can think of these references as a library of blueprints. Blueprints to different objects that Access can work with. Even the most basic ones that Access deals with like msgbox, dlookup, etc... they all exist in a reference either implicitly or explicitly.

If you want to know what each one of these references contains you will need to do a Bing/Google search as ItsMe suggests.

thebigthing313 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    ItsMe is right. The question is very broad. If you are simply trying to figure out what the specific libraries you mentioned contain, then just Google each library and you should find plenty of documentation and its up to you on what you want to report. That would take considerable time though. If you want to focus on the common ones, then just Google those. It may help to use the specific library file names that Access references. To see those, go to the Visual Basic Editor, then go to Tools>References and select one, and you'll see in the bottom the location of the library file. For example, I use, and it's very common, the Microsoft Scripting Runtime library, which is in scrrun.dll, most commonly found in C:\windows\system32. Google that and you'll find the contents and uses for that library.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.