brharrii is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Trying to deicde whether I should create a 1-to-1 or put all data in one table

I am working on a database that keeps track of several Production facilities as well as the contact information for two key positions in each facility: Plant Manager and QC Manager. Each plant will have one and only one Plant Manager and each Plant manager will be assigned to one and only one plant. The same is true for QC managers.

Initially I felt like I should have 2 different tables (facilities and managers) but am finding a little bit awkward to try to setup the data entry portion of the one-to-one relationship in a way that is intuitive to the user. Would it be more effective to do away with the Managers table all together and store all manager data (name, phone number, fax, email address) to the facility table like so:

tblFacility
    - FacilityName
    - FacilityAddress
    - FacilityRegistrationNumber
    - FacilityPlantManagerName
    - FacilityPlantManagerPhone
    - FacilityPlantManagerFax
    - FacilityPlantManagerEmail
    - FacilityQCManagerName
    - FacilityQCManagerPhone
    - FacilityQCManagerFax
    - FacilityQCManagerEmail

Or am I on the right track by keeping them in two seperate tables? If so, how should I establish the relationship between these two tables?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Bruce

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The only issue I can see with one table is if the managers change to a different facility. Instead of just changing a manager ID field, have to edit every field associated with the manager.

If you split the table, should be one for Facilities and one for Managers (both manager types in one table, a record for each). Then either save manager IDs to two fields in Facilities or facility ID to Managers. This latter approach is a 1-to-many relationship. Each facility will be associated with 2 manager records but each manager will have only one facility.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

recyan is offline Expert
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Perhaps, using a junction table might work out better in the long run :
    tbFacilities
    FacilityID - PK

tblManagers
    ManagerID - PK

tblFacilityManager
    FacilityManagerID - PK
    FacilityID - FK
    ManagerID - FK
    StartDate
    EndDate

Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I'm considering going the junction table route because I found out that we actually do have a manager who manages two plants.

Assuming I went the junction table route, and wanted to create a form that would allow the user to setup new plants including specifying the Plant and QC Managers, would I need to create two different subforms (One for QC manager and one for Plant manager)? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A junction table might be over complicating.

The two manager fields in Plants table probably workable. However, one complication could be in a search for a manager name but you are not sure which type of manager. Would this ever be a possible query - name is known but not the role?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I don't forsee that being an issue.... I plan on adding a button that will allow the user to setup new managers and edit old ones so it will be possible for them to look up a manager if they need to.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.