alexandervj is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Form/Subform vertical scroll issue

I'm having a vertical scroll issue thats very strange. Most of the time I can scroll vertically fine, but every now and then it locks up and wont let me scroll down, especially with the mouse wheel. A couple of the engineers have had even weirder symptoms where they cant even scroll down using the arrow keys on the keyboard. Has anybody had this problem before or have a solution?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Only when the system is busy and then things go back to normal

When the system is busy? Do you mean there were too many people using the database at once? There were only 3 people using the database. Is there any way to improve functionality?

Most of the processing in Access Desktop Databases is done on the client machine.

3 users is not a lot of users. Most will recommend not to have multiple users connect to a single DB without accessing the DB via their own front end file. However, I doubt this is the cause of your symptom.

Netwoek issues could be the cause of your symptom but, it is probably the client machine waiting for its own resources to be freed. Could also be a combination of factors.

My database is split, each client has their own front end. The FE is in a folder on the network under their computer name. It looks like the clients machine is pretty free of other processes though. Access is pretty much all they're using. Could it be the way I have my forms/subforms set up? I have 1 subform in multiple forms, each with different filters. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Yes, each form object will demand a certain amount of the client machine's virtual memory, as well as other objects. Creating efficient queries and limiting the number of controls a form object has, will improve the performance of the form. Additional considerations are using the smallest data type possible for a given field. So, the performance of your app should be considered at the early design stages, Normalization.

As for using the same form object in many subform containers simultaneously, I have not tried this. Perhaps another look at your data structure and or SQL is appropriate. Employing various Combos, Listboxes, and Option Groups may be a benefit. I would consider this before creating multiple form objects in an effort to eliminate the symptom you are experiencing. However, you may need a quick Band-Aid and multiple form objects may be beneficial in the short term.

I did limit the field lengths, but I'm unfamiliar with creating efficient access queries. I'm pretty lost, I wish there was a good way to learn correct access query and form/subform design

Quote Originally Posted by alexandervj View Post
    ...I wish there was a good way to learn correct access query and form/subform design
    You and me both. There are probably two or three others who wish the same thing too. Basically, you start with the tables and create a normalized data structure, considering the relationships between PK's and FK's. You do this in an effort to avoid duplication of data, among other things.

Data types play a large roll and using number types, where possible, is helpful. There are different data types for number values, integer, long integer, Double, Single. Understanding what these different data types are and their sizes in memory matter.

The list goes on...

Dang this sucks. All my forms/subforms scroll fine now. Idk what the problem is. There have been 3 simultaneous users in the past with no issues

Could be network associated but I would expect to see an error telling you there is a problem with the disc, referring to can't read the DB file in the disc.

Sometimes you need to beat the application up in order to duplicate symptoms. Could be query related. It is difficult to nail down the Jello that is software.

I'm gonna try to upgrade the server RAM to see if that helps. Its running CentOS which takes a lot of RAM and apparently it only has 8GB installed, I had thought it had more. I'll keep this thread updated

Maybe, I have had MDB files on servers with 1GB and multiple users connecting to the same DB file (Forms, VBA, Reports, the works) on the server over the network at 100Mbs. Most processes are managed at the client. Things will start to slow down when you split the DB and I believe that is network related. Things like Intel drivers for your NIC’s and managed switches matter. A server/Domain Controller with good resources to manage DHCP may be key also. It really takes a Network Engineer to understand these things and finger pointing should be a last resort. Consider Normalization and queries first.

Ok, will do

I normalized the database, but the scroll issue still exists. I was just having the scroll issue and so I closed the database and reopened, and still had it. And it doesn't exist just with one form or subform - I even opened the database backend and it wouldnt scroll. It seems like an Access issue, but if no one knows whats going on its probably not a common bug for some reason. I also tried closing the database, then unplugging the network switch, and plugging it back in. Then the database scrolled again but after a couple minutes it stopped scrolling again... IDK whats going on...

Could moving the backend to MySQL fix the problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example_problem.jpg  
    Last edited by alexandervj; 04-29-2014 at 02:53 PM.

The only thing I can think of is, we are storing .jpgs of charts in attachment fields in the database. Is there a better way to do this? I'm not sure if access actually stores these in the database or if theyre just references.

I'm also using calculated text fields as buttons in the subforms (ie. a calculated text field with the value "Select") to select a specific record and open another form related to that record. I dont know if this is a problem as it doesnt really adhere to database normalization

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.