moita is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Outlook Emailing

Hey Guys,

First time posting so forgive my newbieness haha So i am trying to link my MS Access with my outlook account. I have my table created and i press the "create email" on the collect data tab and an error pops up that says "Microsoft Outlook could not be started. Make sure that outlook is installed and properly configured on your computer". I have Microsoft Outlook installed on my computer and i use it on a regular basis. Is their a setting in Outlook and Access that i am missing? Also could it be the fact that i have Access 2007 and Outlook 2010 conflicting because of the version years?

Thanks,

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you trying to Import from Outlook or Link from Outlook using the "External Data" tab?

There may be a conflict with versions of Access 2010 with Outlook 2007. I have never tried it and I am not sure all of the features in the External Data tab currently available in Access 2010 were available in Access 2007. Newer features may be a reason for not being backward compatible. Just a guess on my part though.

moita is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Are you trying to Import from Outlook or Link from Outlook using the "External Data" tab?

There may be a conflict with versions of Access 2010 with Outlook 2007. I have never tried it and I am not sure all of the features in the External Data tab currently available in Access 2010 were available in Access 2007. Newer features may be a reason for not being backward compatible. Just a guess on my part though.
    What I am trying to do is send an email to my clients so that they can fill in data. In their response they would fill in the empty fields i have provided so that i can update MS Access Table via their responses with a click of a button.

Any ideas? I am running MS Access 2010 but when i click the table it states that it is running in 2007. I am also running MS Outlook 2010 if that helps.

You could possibly do this with Word. Look into Forms. You would need to send it as an attachment. I have never tried to include forms in an Email body. It may be possible but you will need a macro enabled word doc and I do not believe Outlook will manage this. Plus, you would need the recipient to be able to manage the macro enabled word doc.

Most efficient would be to Use Adobe Acrobat or create a web form and email them a link or, perhaps, embed the webform in the body as HTML.

EDIT: Also 2010 will create accdb files in 2007 format. There is not a 2010 accdb format. There are options available in the Access 2010 version that are not available in 2007 but, the format is the same for both versions.

moita is offline Novice
    I have to do this in MS Access since its part of my MS Access course. I saw my teacher do it using that "Create Email" button in the collect tab with no problem. I notified him of this concern but he had no resolution that's why I was hoping somebody on here could help.

Instructions are:

"
    With

an email account set up, click the External
    Data
    ribbon
    back
    in Access

Find
    the Collect Data group and click Create E-mail

Click
    Next on the wizard that opens

Select
    HTML Form"

I am going to guess that is new for Access 2010 and it does not want to play with your meager 2007 version of Outlook.

I have never seen that option before. I clicked on it and it created an email message. I saved the email as HTML and it created some pretty complex stuff. It does not sound like your lesson is to create a web page using strongly typed XML and then embed it in an Email body so.....

You may be out of luck trying this with Outlook 2007.

moita is offline Novice

Red face

I am going to guess that is new for Access 2010 and it does not want to play with your meager 2007 version of Outlook.

I have never seen that option before. I clicked on it and it created an email message. I saved the email as HTML and it created some pretty complex stuff. It does not sound like your lesson is to create a web page using strongly typed XML and then embed it in an Email body so.....

You may be out of luck trying this with Outlook 2007.
    Please see attached PDF for complete description of what i am trying to accomplish as my description might not be clear.

P.S Thanks for all the help up to this point!
    Attached Files Attached Files

When I posted post #6 I had already done everything up to page 19. Rather than sending the email, I saved as an HTML file and looked at the sourve code. That is why I commented about it being complex code. Most of the code was about the email itself and a little bit was about the fields which used a combo of tables and XML.

In your lesson it mentioned that sending this form to some email clients may be problematic. I mentioned embedding stuff in the body of the email can be problematic too.

Page number 13 mentions that you need to have Outlook 2010 in order for this feature in Outlook to work. I mentioned that this may be an issue too.

I took at look at the link provided in the lesson. It mentions that you need either 2007 or 2010 to get this to work. However, I still believe the issue is you have Access 2010 and Outlook 2007. In the Access community, it is well known that you do not mix intrinsic functionality from newer versions with older versions. Meaning, the Outlook function you are trying to use relies on a type of macro that is not compatible with 2007. You do not see the macro as an object but it is "Black Box" stuff that Access is depending on to get things done behind the scenes, much like a Class you might create in your own apps.

Having said all of that, I do not know for sure this is the issue. It is my best educated guess.

moita is offline Novice
    When I posted post #6 I had already done everything up to page 19. Rather than sending the email, I saved as an HTML file and looked at the sourve code. That is why I commented about it being complex code. Most of the code was about the email itself and a little bit was about the fields which used a combo of tables and XML.

In your lesson it mentioned that sending this form to some email clients may be problematic. I mentioned embedding stuff in the body of the email can be problematic too.

Page number 13 mentions that you need to have Outlook 2010 in order for this feature in Outlook to work. I mentioned that this may be an issue too.

I took at look at the link provided in the lesson. It mentions that you need either 2007 or 2010 to get this to work. However, I still believe the issue is you have Access 2010 and Outlook 2007. In the Access community, it is well known that you do not mix intrinsic functionality from newer versions with older versions. Meaning, the Outlook function you are trying to use relies on a type of macro that is not compatible with 2007. You do not see the macro as an object but it is "Black Box" stuff that Access is depending on to get things done behind the scenes, much like a Class you might create in your own apps.

Having said all of that, I do not know for sure this is the issue. It is my best educated guess.
    Its weird because i have both 2010 versions of Outlook and Access.. My teacher said it could just be a matter of fiddling with the versions and settings in both outlook and access. Guess ill just mess around with the settings to see if it works. Thanks for your help!

The only settings I can think of that would deviate from default would be to turn warnings off. I don't remember seeing a warning when I used the feature.

I had it mixed up. I thought you were running Access 2010 and Outlook 2007. Regardless, there still may be a version issue. And I seem to be a little more confused when you state you have both Outlook and Access 2010.

It makes most sense that you have Access 2007 and it can not find an email program because you have Outlook 2010 installed.

Outlook 2010 uses folders for Office version 14. Access 2007 uses folders for version 12. When you ask Access 2007 to look for Outlook, it is only going to be able to look for program files and a .pst in known versions. It is only going to know to look in Office folders for version 12 and earlier. At the time 2007 was built, they did not know for certain how to interact with version 14 or 15 for that matter.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.