wnicole is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

latitude and longitude w Google

2 separate needs: I searched but could not find. Can u assist? Have basic table name, address, city state zip, lat, long. I have a field "Territory #". I need to group address based on territory numbers and create a Map center on that area automatically.
    1. I'm hope to have a bitmap that appears on the form for that group automatically. As I update, add addresses the map updates as well?
    2. Also if possible I can pull up an address and get results of all addresses within 15 miles radius as well?

Can u assist w how I can do this simply? Still beginner yaw! Waiting to hear back. Thanks

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What have you done so far? I would recommend you use a naming convention that does not allow embedded spaces nor use any special characters in field and object names. Use only alpha numeric and "_" underscore. You'll save yourself a lot of syntax correcting.
    What exactly does your lat, long represent?
    For clarity, there are at least 2 kinds of measurements here. Lat, Long can represent a point -- known as a point locator.
    Postal/Zip codes represent areas --known as Area locators.
    If you have a lat/long for a zip, then someone has made an approximation to represent an Area by a Point. Often the point is the centroid of the area, but not always. I mention this because if you are measuring distances between zips/postal codes, there is some approximation being done and it may affect the measurement.

Consider, an imaginary zip code that is circular, and for illustration, let's say the radius is 1 mile. The given lat/long represents the center of the circular zip. If you lived on the edge(circumference) of the zip, you're theoretically at the center. So if you were measuring between your location and someone diametrically opposite in this zip code, you would be 2 miles apart, but zip-wise you're in the same location/point. Just trying to highlight that using a Point to represent an Area involves some "approximation". It may not be relevant to many applications, but may explain some differences now and then.
    Good luck.

wnicole is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Im sorry thanks so much for trying to help unfortunately you explanation actually confused me more. If someone can respond to question in more simplier terms would be helpful. Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.