trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003

Employee time clock with barcode scanning

Hi All,
    I have an old DB that I have to update to using barcode scanning for employee shift start/end.
    previously this was done using a form with user/password form followed by entry update form with 2 buttons 'start shift' and 'end shift'

this was all working fine as a form based system.

I have now been asked to modify this system to also allow employees to scan thier id card, 'it has a barcode on it' to update thier shift start/end times. the problem I have is that previously I used the 2 buttons to determine start or end time input, with the barcode I don't get this option, just scan and done is what they have asked for.

If anybody has something similar or could help with advice about using one reference to update either start or end times
    I can determine if they have not scanned in for the day and then scan them out, I can also put in a delay so they can't scan in and out in a sort time currently 2 mins, an information only form pops up and shows if the scan was for start or end, auto closes ontimer.
    and if they don't scan out the previous day it won't affect the curent days entry.

I have all the old system still working and incorporated this into the main menu, me.scan_bc has focus on form and after update starts to determine what the scan was for and updates the correct field - start or end.

they can scan the barcode or press the shift update button to use the form based entry

the logic i have when they scan is -
    no time in and no time out for current day - start shift
    time in yes, no time out - end shift
    time in and time out = true - msgbox = allready scanned out

problem - If they forget to scan in at the start of thier shift and then scan out when they leave it will update the start time and have no end time for that day. my only thought is to us the AM/PM date parts to help resolve this to some degree. Or have a form open and request another confirmation scan or do a manual entry.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Do employees all work the same hours that you can compare to? Like if everybody works 8-5 and you show somebody clocking in at 5 you can take other action. Obviously you'd use some sort of logic for the actual time frames. If not the same schedule, is there a table of each individual's schedule? Do they clock out off lunch?

I've done a couple of apps that involve time keeping, and I think it's a matter of trying to anticipate circumstances and code for them, but at the end of the day you'll end up having to have the ability for the employee or a supervisor to edit the data.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the reply, most employees have different start times "VERY flexi time!" between 6am and any time after that. i have recorded in the employees table thier normal hours. Your reply has a least given me an extra direction to go in by using the base times as a reference, and as you say, 'anticipate circumstances and code for them'.
    Lunches aren't a problem we only clock in/out to start/end a shift. I also have displayed in a subform on the main menu a list of who is in attendance (with an emergency button, prints a list to check off in safe area), I will also use that as a reference. I do all my DB 'work' at home, it's a hobby, so if anyone is interested in a finnished copy let me know, it's not owned by my employer. mind you all my db's are currently inhouse so i can fix any unforseen problems, I have though managed to trade my consignment note tracking system for a new PC.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.