ajknoll23 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Incorporating active directory with Access

Is there any way to incorporate AD into an Access database?

We have multiple users with different rights and we are just looking for a way to get access to acknowledge the pass thru authentication.

Is there any easy way to do this?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Would it be enough to just verify the user name and then grant priviliges to Access based on the Windows Login Environment?
    https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...ame-38386.html

There are ways to get info from AD, but I am not thinking of the correct term for my search right now.

ajknoll23 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Would it be enough to just verify the user name and then grant priviliges to Access based on the Windows Login Environment?
    https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...ame-38386.html

There are ways to get info from AD, but I am not thinking of the correct term for my search right now.

Thanks for the reply. I guess this is what we are trying to accomplish mostly but we are pretty confused on HOW to use this..

http://www.accesssecurityblog.com/po...Directory.aspx

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Can you post some of the code from the functions from the DB? It may be enough to post the sections where objects are declared and instantiated. Maybe look for some ADO and post it here. Just something to jog my memory how to connect.

NTC is offline VIP
    Well you can use the 'Calls' from AD to know the User, and that User's AD Security Group. so to keep things simple - a user opens the first form - and behind the scenes in that form's OnLoad event you trigger your vba calls and get 'Sam' 'Level XYZ'.....

now its a blank slate in terms of database design what you do with that.... perhaps there are maybe some forms/reports that Level XYZ are allowed to open and others they are not... perhaps you want to append 'Sam' to every new record he/she enters so you know the source of data.... just a couple brief examples.. but you can call the data from AD which simply eliminates the need for a log in process in Access itself - - that's all that is accomplished (but can be very useful as people complain of having too many log ins)

what style of security, data visibility is appropriate for your db is an entirely separate question and is part of the db design....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.