QuakinTom is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Personalized Hyperlink

Hi,

I'm using a database and in this database I have some hyperlinks. These hyperlinks are buttons in forms. When I click on the button it opens "C:\My Pictures". In the database there are several forms. Each form is for a different person. Does anyone know a way how I can make the button open a person specific folder. Lets say we have Person1. When I click on his button on the form then I want the button to open: "C:\My Pictures\Person1". And with Person2 ofcourse: "C:\My Pictures\Person2".

So my question is, is there a simple way to do this with hyperlinks?

Greetz,
    Tom

June7 is offline VIP
    Why a form for each user? Are these forms identical in structure? I would have one form for all users and use code to 'know' which user is interacting with the form. Populate a textbox on form with user ID. Concatenate the user ID with the folder path:

"C:\My Picture\" & [textbox name]
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sorry for making the wrong impression. What I meant was that I had 1 form. In this form each person has their own data. This data is stored in tables. In the table is information about the contacts, like first name, last name etc. Is this maybe useable in the folderpath? Or should I create a separate box with their full name?

June7 is offline VIP
    The name fields are usable in the folder path if the folders/files are named the same. Fields can be concatenated.

"C:\My Picture\" & [lastname] & [firstname]
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June

I tried the tip that you gave me. But sadly enough it didn't work. Let me explain my situation I'm working with a bit more .
    I have a contacts table. In this table there are the fields First Name and Last Name. Then I have a form. In this form there is a button. This button actually is a hyperlink. When you click it it goes to D:\Pictures\Database\. When I go into Layout View of my form and edit the button so that the hyperlink is different to somewhat similar to yours it gives me an error. The error simply says that it can't find the folder.

When I'm working in Layout View I click on the button so that it opens the property sheet on the right. Then under Format>Hyperlink Address I fill this in:
    "D:\Pictures\Database\" & [lastname] & [firstname]

Is there maybe a problem with the order I'm putting the fields in the hyperlink or should the quotes no be there. Last thing I can think of is that my fields are called First Name and Last Name and in the hyperlink they are called firstname and lastname.

June7 is offline VIP
    Use your actual field names. Advise no spaces or special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) in naming convention.

I have never tried to use concatenation in a button caption to create a dynamic hyperlink. I doubt that will work.

This might require code using FollowHyperlink or this alternative http://allenbrowne.com/func-GoHyperlink.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.