blakej is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007

If then statement on calculated field

I am in the process of creating a form that needs to have several calculated fields. My biggest issue is that I need a VBC that will allow field "H" to autofill dependent on field "percentage of hours to complete." Essentially I need "H" to autofill with 100% if the %of hours to complete is over 60.1%, if it is not over 60.1% then I need it to fill in with the percentage from the hours to complete field.

Thanks a million,

Jen

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by blakej View Post
    I am in the process of creating a form that needs to have several calculated fields. My biggest issue is that I need a VBC that will allow field "H" to autofill dependent on field "percentage of hours to complete." Essentially I need "H" to autofill with 100% if the %of hours to complete is over 60.1%, if it is not over 60.1% then I need it to fill in with the percentage from the hours to complete field.

Thanks a million,

Jen
    Are the calculated fields just for display or do you need to store those values?

You can open the forms recordset, add a new field in the query (not adding a table field, a query field) make a calculation based off the other fields and have that ready to use on the form. Then back on the form you can create a textbox control that has the control source of that calculated query field you just made to display on your form.

Or you could use VBA

with VBA you could code something to fill a table field on a record after something has been entered. So you can have an "after update" event when you have entered some details the code will execute after entering it and it will field the field with the calculation you have made in the VBA.

e.g.

textbox1_afterupdate()

me.txtbox1 = 3 + 4 'txtbox1 is the name of the control on the form, it becomes the calculation
    me.refresh 'refresh the form
    end sub

Ruegen is offline VIP
    basic example of a simple iif statement

for your calculation I would use iif(h>=60, "Complete","uncomplete")

blakej is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    i placed this code into the VB after update and I am getting a Compile error: Expecte:=???

Ruegen is offline VIP
    i placed this code into the VB after update and I am getting a Compile error: Expecte:=???
    You can't simply copy and paste what I have written - that is simply an example

blakej is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    No I did not I created the code based on your example, but i am receiveing that error.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    I will break it down for you

iif() <- this is the method

h <this is your field, you could h or FirstName or whatever - it's the column in your table.

>= <operator, this means greater than or equal to

60 <this can be another field or a number or a percent etc etc etc, whatever you want to greater or less than

then you add a ,

the first , is the true result

the second, is the false
    e.g.
    iif(calc, true, false)

iff(1>=3, " greater than 3", "less than 3") -----> this will give you "less than 3"

Ruegen is offline VIP
    No I did not I created the code based on your example, but i am receiveing that error.
    copy paste your code and post here

blakej is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    Thanks for the breakdown since im clearly incopetent; but that is what I tried and it is not working. I think I will just try the first alternative you suggested and if not I will simply have to research and possibly take a class on the subject.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Thanks for the breakdown since im clearly incopetent; but that is what I tried and it is not working. I think I will just try the first alternative you suggested and if not I will simply have to research and possibly take a class on the subject.
    yeah I'm happy to explain anything - it's hard enough to explain something or convey something to an expert user (not me, June7, Itsme, others on this forum - who all give fantastic help) so feel free to ask

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.