crowegreg is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Form locking other users out of DB

Within our department, I have created a DB that has a FE and BE DB. The BE is located on a shared server, and each user within the department has the FE loaded on their machine. When a user goes into one form within the FE, it puts a lock on the DB. The lock prevents other users from entering the DB. Within the FE DB, this is the only form that the user is able to enter data that gets inserted into the BE DB. It sounds like my problem is within the design of the DB or this form. I don't know what I need to look at to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance!!

NTC is offline VIP
    this should not be. either someone is going directly into the BE without your knowledge.... or the linking of the FEs to the BE is actually incorrect and they are linking from FE to another FE....... sanity check your linking.

otherwise the 'one form' is suspect. verify its records source and create a basic brand new form with the same record source. it doesn't have to have all the bells & whistles just the same record source and a few bound fields....and see if the behavior repeats itself.....

crowegreg is offline Competent Performer
    Thank you for the reply.

This is weird. I'm the only one in the office at this time. I have two monitors on my desk. On one monitor I have the network shared folder where the BE DB exists. On my other monitor, I have the FE DB opened. Within my FE DB, I have forms created that act as menus. When I select to open one specific form from one menu, on the other monitor displaying the shared folder, a second file is displayed, the "laccdb." If I go back to the other monitor and close the form, the "laccdb" file is no longer displayed. I've narrowed it down to only this form.

This form is very detailed. So I'll try your suggestion of creating a new form, and using the same record souce, and see what happens.

NTC is offline VIP
    the laccdb behavior is normal - it will open/close as any FE connects to actual data.

every user must have their own individual FE - all linking to the same BE. no 2 users can share the same FE. I've also seen mistakes made when linking an FE to the BE where the user spaced out and linked to another FE by accident....so this deserves review: presuming this correct install no one should be getting locked out

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.