Kwbrown is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

VBA assistance

I am using a db that was created by someone else and there is a problem with a command button in that it allows you to delete records that should not be deleted. I have an idea of how to fix the problem, but I don't know the syntax etc to use. Hopefully the following makes sense:

Private Sub cmdADelete_Click()

MY COMMENT: After the button is clicked I need the code to check the following query where Agreements.agreement_id = “gAgreement”

SELECT Agreements.agreement_id, Projects.project_ID, Projects.invoice_number FROM Agreements INNER JOIN Projects ON Agreements.agreement_id = Projects.Agreement_ID WHERE (((Projects.invoice_number) Is Not Null));

MY COMMENT: If the query returns a value (is true = is not empty) then MsgBox (“You cannot delete an Agreement that has been invoiced!”)- close msgbox & stop code Otherwise (next step)

MY COMMENT: Check next query where Agreements.agreement_id = “gAgreement”

SELECT Agreements.agreement_id, Projects.project_ID FROM Agreements LEFT JOIN Projects ON Agreements.agreement_id = Projects.Agreement_ID WHERE (((Projects.project_ID) Is Not Null));

MY COMMENT: If the query returns a value (is true = is not empty) then MsgBox (“You must delete all projects associated with this Agreement before you can delete the Agreement!”)- close msgbox = stop code
    Otherwise (next step is to run the rest of the code)

MY COMMENT: this is the rest of the prior code which will then allow the agreement to be deleted

On Error GoTo Err_Handler
    If MsgBox("Are you sure you want to delete agreement #" & gAgreement & "?", vbYesNo, "Confirm Deletion") = vbYes Then
    CurrentDb.Execute ("DELETE * FROM agreements WHERE agreement_id=" & gAgreement & ";"), dbFailOnError
    CurrentDb.Execute ("DELETE * FROM liagreementcontacts WHERE agreement_id=" & gAgreement & ";"), dbFailOnError
    gAgreement = 0
    lstAgreements.Requery
    End If
    Exit_Handler:

Exit Sub
    Err_Handler:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Handler
    End Sub

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is the query name? Something like:

If Not IsNull(DLookup("Agreement_id", "query name", "Agreement_id=" & gAgreement) Then
    'message box here
    Else
    'delete code here
    End If
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

robrich22 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Can you paste the actual code?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You already have all the pieces.

Use your query name in place of 'query name'.

You want a message box then use the one you described in your post. Only don't use the parentheses.

Where it says 'delete code here, do that. Put your delete code there.

MsgBox can take two forms. One as a function and one as just a notification to user. Use parentheses for the function form, no parentheses for the notification form.

DELETE does not need * because the entire record is deleted. No need for any reference to fields. Also, the semi-colon at end is not required. Save yourself some typing. Only SELECT sql needs semi-colon.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.