aabh is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2000

Append Query

I'm probably doing something very strange...

I have three tables:

1) A Client table with a registration number, last name, first name, demographic info (City, State, Zip, etc).

2) A Testing table which tracks the results of our testing process.

and

3) A session table, which tracks information on an individual session.

What I need to do is make a form where my admin can "add" a session or Test to the latter two tables. The problem is currently we are an all-paper company, and so if this becomes too difficult, they simply won't use it (we spent two weeks last month just recovering bad records because one of the admins liked my previous dataase, but the other hated it and didn't enter data into it...)

so, I need to get a clients ID#, Last Name and First name pre-entered on the form that will append data to the Testing and Session tables.

IE.

Admin opens database,

Searches for "Timmy Test"

Brings up Timmy Test's records with blank fields for "Trainer" "Session Date" and "Session time"

Admin enters only "Trainer", "Session Date" and "Time" and then hits "Append"

Then ID number, Last name, first name, Trainer, session date and session time are all appended to the Session Table.

I'm using Access 2000 (for the time being- our company is SUPER cheap), and I am pretty familiar with Access, but not VB programming (I know how to use the GUI interface version of Access)- so if it requires some form of "select" query, I'll need some hand-holding in order to know what field to put it in on the GUI...

I'm willing to haunt these forums and help others out in the future if I can... Thanks in advance!

---Aabh
    Last edited by aabh; 01-28-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Clerification

aabh is offline Novice
    Okay, I'll presume that this was too complex a thought process for Access 2K

Let's try a different tactic: I have these three tables; The Main table with my patients' name and id number, and then two other tables which need to "inherit" a few fields from that Main table and then have input from the user for the remainder of the tables. (I.E. Column 1,2 and 3 come from the main table (Name, id number), whereas columns 4-20 are all input into the table from a form).

How would you recommend I go about it?

Thanks!

---Aabh

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Your presumption is not accurate. Have you tried using a MainForm/SubForm for your user interface?

aabh is offline Novice
    Actually, that's what I'm doing now... I guess I was thinking too complex... Typical, I needed to attack this from a different angle.

I now have a Start Form where you type the first and last name in to a form and push a button to launch the Find form.

The Find form then takes that data and produces a record set for that one individual.

The user "okays" that by pushing a third button and launching the add record form. The first three fields have a default value set to the fields on the second (Find) form (And they are locked).

I am just now building it, so I'm not sure it works just yet.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    We'll stay tuned.

aabh is offline Novice
    Okay, I solved it! It is in fact, as you say, using a series of forms to enter the data. It works, now I have another problem that I need to fix, but that is a form problem (So I'll post in the Form area).

I'll mark this one "Solved"!

Thanks!

--Aabh

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks for the update.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.