accessmacroman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Linking Excel, Word and PDF files in Access 2013

Is it possible to have a single cell or row contain a link to foreign files? Foreign as in excel. word & PDF files that exist on the server. In other words I want to create a database in Access 2013 that would have links to specific files that address specific IT needs, solutions or how to steps.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access offers the hyperlink field or the Attachment field. This is initially set up in the core table, and then displays in the form being used. I recommend the hyperlink field, although not all agree with that. Hyperlink is commonly understood. You put your doc - whatever it is - in a folder somewhere - - and the hyperlink field is used to link to it. When you select a link it launches the underlying application and opens that doc in a separate window.

The Attachment field use to put the file into Access which although highly improved over the years with compression still caused bloat and made it difficult to get those attachments out of the database for other non-Access uses - although that was my research a while back and I can't say if that remains true for Access 2013.

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    This works for me, but it's running on access 2003/winxp machine, it does give errors on access 2010 windows 7
    I am migrating my system to access 2010 windows 7 in the near future. You may have something similar available to you.
    PS Even though I have set it up to open a PDF directly it sill opens iexplore. seems if PDF is interagted into it, thats were it wants to open the file.

Private Sub image_location_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
    If Right(t, 3) = "pdf" Then
    stAppName = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe " & Me.image_location
    Call Shell(stAppName, 1)
    Else
    stAppName = "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe " & Me.image_location
    Call Shell(stAppName, 1)
    End If
    End Sub

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    an error in 2010 may be due to the file not being in a trusted folder; one must set that up.

the default application is based on the file type - can't say why a pdf would open in IE if the default is set up to adobe....that is strange indeed....

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Adobe is integrated into Iexplore, when a PDF opens it show the adobe frame inside the iexplore window with all the usual fetures available for adobe.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.