Siiig is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

"Simple" Expression

This hardly could be defined as programming, but I'm not sure it fits into the other threads particularly well either.

I have a query, and I'd like to modify one of the fields to remove the first to characters. Data looks like this:

"D-asdf"
    "I-asdf"
    "D-poiu"
    "I-poiu"

Obviously, I would like to remove the "I-" and "D-" from the fields. The "Replace" function seemed to be the most applicable, so I've come to this formula:

Replace([Desc],"D-","")

But the above returns a "Data Type Mismatch" error. The tables "Data Type" is set to "Text", and the data in it reflects that.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the results I'm looking for? Obviously I'm only anticipating the above expression to remove the "D-" markers. I could manage this in Excel with a Left() plus a Substitute()--and I could probably do the same with the Replace(), if I could get it working!

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you want to remove the first two characters, why not just use:
    Mid([Desc],3,Len([Desc])-2)

Note, if you have blank or Null characters in this fields, it could cause problems with a lot of calculations if you don't check for that first.

Siiig is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I'm still new to compounding expressions in Access. I never even thought of doing that! My mind went straight to replacing based on the "-".

Do you know why Replace() would be giving me grief, but Mid/Len seem to work out fine?

drexasaurus is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    That's a little strange. You could always try explicitly converting to string using cstr(), although I'm not sure it should be necessary in this case. Worth trying. You could also try referring to the field more explicitly ([TableName].[Field]), just to make sure the query isn't actually doing something different than you were expecting.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, Replace() should work too, but with that you need to explicitly tell it exactly what you want replaced. So if there is more than one "string" you need to replace, you need to do it multiple times. As opposed to just dropping the first two characters using MID.

Does Replace() return errors with all your records, or just certain ones?
    Can you provide an example of one that is returning an error?
    And note the tips that drexasaurus provided.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.