msmithtlh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Records Disappearing - Urgently need help

I have created a database on a network drive, that was working fine for several months. Now, records are disappearing (being deleted) by the "system." I have put security on forms to not allow deletions, but the problem is continuing, and becoming worse (more records disappearing).

The database is currently 21.7 MB. Are there any size limitations that could be causing this?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The size limitations of an access database is roughly 2gb so you shouldn't be having any problems relating to size, and your database is relatively tiny so I doubt compact/repair will do much for you. How many users do you have and now many of them know how to get to the table level? Are they perhaps editing the data on your table instead of on your forms? Have you tried hiding the tables so that someone would have to know how to 'unhide' them to delete records? this would really only work if you had users that were unsophisticated enough to know they could create a query and delete records in the query as well.

Your options are pretty limited if you have users that are relatively sophisticated.

The navigation pane is locked out. There are about 25 users. They aren't very sophisticated.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    are you using bound forms?

if you are it's still possible for people to delete records, want to provide a sample of your database it would be easier to help you with a sample.

UnitData.zipClient2.zipHere is database and client.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You could try an Audit Log process to attempt to track issue. Review http://allenbrowne.com/AppAudit.html

Why do you have MakeTable queries?

A db design that routinely creates new tables is probably not optimal.

The navigation pane can be expanded with F11.

Also, presume you know that holding down shift key when opening db negates many optional db settings?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In addition to what June has pointed out, where in your process are records getting deleted? from all tables? From one table in particular? from a few tables but not others? How do you know items are being deleted, do you have screen shots of data that are no longer in your database? Have you got orphaned data?

The problem is with records in the "record requests" table. After a record is created, a routing slip is printed. Later, going in to update the request, it isn't there. I have confirmed this on several occasions.

June,

The make table queries are used to create temporary tables used for reporting.

I did not know about F11 or holding down shift while opening.

Thanks for the link for creating an audit trail. This should help us track and isolate the problem. Thanks!!!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So what happens in your normal flow between the time the routing slip is produced and it's accessed again, are you able to, at will, reproduce the problem, if so can you tell me how you're doing it. I do not see any delete queries in your object window but I don't want to go wading through any code you may have looking for vba code that may be manipulating the data.

Have you tried making your forms into unbound controls (this is my preferred method because data is not changed unless a specific event is triggered like a mouse click or a confirmation click etc.)

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Instead of MAKE TABLE queries, just create the tables and leave them permanent. Then delete records before each process that uses the tables.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Problem resolved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.