richardm55 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

I am new here and I would like to introduce myself

My name is Richard and I have been living in UK. Professionally I am electronics engineer but I have been always interested in learning Ms Access to be able to build my own data bases. More than 10 years at my postgradute study I learnt VBA and I did also project with Visual Basic so I have some basics to use it in Access. In 2000 I bought the pretty good book about Access 2000. Although I have Access2007 on my computer all theory in this book is still useful and very practical.
    I hope to meet some interesting people in this forum and get some useful information for my learning.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Welcome aboard and good luck with your projects.

richardm55 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thank you mate.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    A couple of quick tips -

1) For personal projects, keep your sights low, and start simple. You'll learn a lot more, and gain more skill and confidence, by doing 150% of a tiny project, as opposed to 15% of a huge project. Build a Workable Toaster now, and leave the Flying Robot Sushi Chef for later.

2) If you're doing more than getting your feet damp, you might consider upgrading to Access 2010. Some of the features that were kind of "raw" in 2007 are more mature in 2010, and Access 2007 is now only a couple of years from going out of support. (I can't yet speak to 2013. ) Also, Microsoft tends to add and drop features in a way that's almost random, and you don't want to learn to depend on something that's *only* in 2007.

3) You're a hardware guy, so this next bit should go without saying. When you run into a problem or a confusion, try to be as specific as possible when you post it on the forum. "My app doesn't work" is not nearly as useful as "When I (describe action) I get an error that says (exact quote of error or description of behavior)".

4) As you get more experienced, this one may help - explain the problem to the wall or a potted plant. They're good listeners, and seldom jump to wrong conclusions. That lets you get the program's odd behavior straight in your head, which might jog a solution. If not, then you at least have a very clear problem to post, and will probably understand the answer a lot better, for having a place in your head to store it.

Welcome to the adventure!

Tonya Alcantar is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Hello and Welcome! I am also new in this forum. See you around

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.