Shani is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Query - Look up a second version of the same table based on a concatenated field

Hi

I need to look up 3 description values from the same table based on various versions of the same field.

I have set up the fields using SQL (I couldn't work out how to do it in Access) as ClassCode1, ClassCode2 and ClassCode3.

ClassCode3 is the number as it appears in the normal table so I can do that one.

ClassCode1 & 2 however are the first 3/6 digits of ClassCode3 with "0"'s at the end.

This is my SQL to get this far which works:

SELECT dbo_Products.PartNo, dbo_Products.ManuID, dbo_Product_Class.Description, Left(dbo_Products.ClassCode,3) & "000000" AS ClassCode1, Left(dbo_Products.ClassCode,6) & "000" AS ClassCode2, dbo_Products.ClassCode AS ClassCode3
    FROM (New_SKU INNER JOIN dbo_Products ON New_SKU.Field1 = dbo_Products.PartNo) INNER JOIN dbo_Product_Class ON dbo_Products.ClassCode = dbo_Product_Class.ClassCode;

I need to look up both ClassCode1 & 2 against the same dbo_Products.ClassCode to get their descriptions (as with ClassCode3) but I can't work out how to do it.

I tried adding a second version of dbo_Product_Class but I couldn't work out how to join it to my concatenated fields.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Shani

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shani View Post
    I need to look up 3 description values...
    I am not sure how you will use/apply your results. If you had three different query objects at your disposal, one for each of the versions, how could you use these objects in your application?

Shani is offline Novice
    Hi

It's because the full code (classcode3) is made up of multiple parts i.e. Classcode1 Description = 'Homeware', ClassCode2 Description = 'Kitchen' and Classcode3 Description is 'Cooking Utensils' - but they are all in the same table and there are 2 million of them.

I need to export them in this format so I can import them into Omniture to use as categories.

Shani

Quote Originally Posted by Shani View Post
    I need to export them in this format so I can import them into Omniture to use as categories.
    So each alias will populate a respective column in a new table? Sounds like committing spreadsheet. Otherwise.....

Might be able to nest an instant if and do it all at once. Not sure how much down time you have to work with...
    or
    Maybe create an append query using the original version and then run an action query to UPDATE using an instant if statement for your two alias'

June7 is online now VIP
    I'm a little lost. Description is already in the query - what description do you need to retrieve? Could you provide sample of raw data and desired output (tables in post or attach file).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I'm a little lost. Description is already in the query - what description do you need to retrieve? Could you provide sample of raw data and desired output (tables in post or attach file).
    I am too. I may be assuming too much...

Shani is offline Novice
    Sorry, The description for class code 3 is in the query and pulls fine. I can't UPDATE the master.

The same table holds the description for the other class codes which I need against all of them.

eg

Code |Description
    123465789 |Cooking Utensils
    123456000 |Kitchen
    123000000 |Homeware

To get the code itself I have taken the first 3 digits of classcode3 and added zeros (123000000), the second I have taken the first 6 digits and added zeros (123456000) - but I then need the names of these categories from the same table.

This is what is should look like

Product ID Classcode1 Classcode2 Classcode3 Description Classcode1 Description Classcode2 Description Classcode3
    abcdefg 123000000 123456000 123456789 Homeware Kitchen Cooking Utensils

I hope that makes sense.

Understanding the left() function and the alias' is not the issue.

Shani is offline Novice
    Yes, ItsMe I want this in a new table but I can't amend the original. :/

June7 is online now VIP
    I am still confused. The 'raw data' does not show ManuID or PartNo fields. Where does ProductID come from?

Possibly you need to take the query shown in first post and use it in another query that pulls in the original table 3 times in joins to each of the Classcode fields.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.