Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EJJ is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Exclamation Problem with some fields intermittently not showing data in Acccess 2013

Hi - my first post so please be gentle......

I've recently moved up to Access 2013 (from Access 2010) and everything went well, until one day my splash screen was blank and the program had empty fields...after much head scratching and seeing that all the links to the BE were OK, I re-booted and everything worked fine....until the next day the same thing happened...... The program randomly falls over about once or twice a week and I have to re-boot to cure it.....

Has anyone come across this - and cured it?

My splash screen has a standard dlookup ( [=DLookUp("Banner","tblCompanyInfo")] ) to display the active company name...and sometimes its populated and other times its not..... if its not populated then loads of other fields on the forms are also blank - even if they point to valid data in the database!!!!!!

Help.....

EJ

I run Win7 (both 32 and 64bit) with Access 2013 32bit on three PC's - same problem on all!!!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    DLookup should work but could instead bind the splash form to the table. I presume there is only one record in the table.

Why do you show [] enclosing the expression?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

EJJ is offline Novice
    Hi June7

Yes there is only one record and the [ ] were to show my code (as requested in one of your sticky's, I think)....

It's a weird problem - everything runs fine for several cycles, then all of a sudden (mainly when I run the program first thing of a morning) it fails to show most of the data..... a re-boot cures the fault and its off for another several cycles....any ideas?

EJ

June7 is offline VIP
    Code tags are HTML tags and look like [code] your code here [/cod e] and are only of real benefit when posting multiple lines of VBA code by copy/paste so that indentation will be retained.

The only fix I have was already suggested.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

EJJ is offline Novice
    OK, got it about the code tags.....

Sorry for being dumb....what fix already suggested? I'm not really a programmer so can you show in little steps, please....ta!

EJ

June7 is offline VIP
    From earlier post "bind the splash form to the table" - set the form RecordSource to the table, bind textbox to the Banner field.

EJJ is offline Novice
    I think thats what I've got...

1) txtBanner is a text box with its control source set to =DLookUp("Banner","tblCompanyInfo")
    2) txtVersion is a text box with its control source set to =DLookUp("VersionNo","tblDefaults")

Four days out of five the correct data is shown in both text boxes - on the fifth day both fields are blank....do a re-boot and both fields show the correct data....!!!! Intermittent....

EJ

Going off-line for a pint and a sulk!!!!

June7 is offline VIP
    No, that is not the same thing, although it should work and I don't know why it intermittently fails, would have to examine db.

However, you are pulling values from two different tables. I presume tblDefaults also has only one record.

Could these two be one table?

Try as the form RecordSource:

SELECT Banner, VersionNo FROM tblCompanyInfo, tblDefaults;

Then set each textbox ControlSource to simply:
    Banner
    VersionNo

EJJ is offline Novice
    I would like to resolve the problem with the dlookup intermittently failing as dlookup is used throughout the db... I've had the db running without this fail for several years under Access2010, but within weeks of moving to Access2013 (which is part of the company's irreversible Office2013 upgrade) this problem is causing pain and angst.... I've tried un-registering and re-registering DAO360 but that doesn't appear to have had any beneficial effect...can you think of any other approach?

Thanks for your patience....EJ

June7 is offline VIP
    You could use VBA to open a recordset of the query I suggested and populate the textboxes with the values from recordset fields.

I really, really don't want A2013.

EJJ is offline Novice
    but if A2013 was the only option - can you think of anything that might affect Dlookup like this?

Xipooo is offline Sr. Database Developer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Out of curiosity, is this a split database? Is your data held on another computer?

June7 is offline VIP
    No, I have no idea why this would happen, especially since it worked fine with A2010.

X, I think post 1 indicated split db.

Xipooo is offline Sr. Database Developer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks June7, I missed that part but I was kinda skimming over the OP's question.

One "trick" we have found ourselves doing in all of our databases is to use a recordset to establish a link with our BE database when the FE is opened.

So on whichever form is opened when the application opens, go to the On Open or On Load event and create a DAO recordset to any one of the tables in your backend. Then just do a .MoveLast and close the recordset.

Usually we do this because we were getting prompted for login credentials to access our MS SQL databases if we did not. But we also found this solved some of the "buggy" network problems we would randomly encounter too.

Perhaps more specific to your situation you could set up this process on a form timer of every 10-15 minutes to essentially refresh your back end connection.

EJJ is offline Novice
    Hi Xipooo... I've got a table in the BE called Speedup with one record in it... and I open a hidden form that l load the record into on startup... the form is always open but hidden throughout the session....is that what you mean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.