data808 is offline Noob
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Password Protecting the backend database

What is the purpose of this? From what I understand, if you password protect the back end of the database, the front end is linked to the back end tables. So you can still open up the linked tables in the front end and go crazy deleting pretty much everything in it. I know you can hide the tables along with the navigation pane but whats the point if the user can just unhide it and get access to it anyway? It would be nice to just lock the table and make a form that has the data entry property set to yes so the form only shows a blank new record for the user to fill in. Once they close this form, the record will be saved and the user will no longer be able to see that record because its in a password locked table. If the user opens the form again it will be blank and ready to enter another NEW record. Why can't this be done? Why did Microsoft not include options like this for a database. I would like to have only one person be able to access the table with a password to see everything and all the many users will just be able to add new records and not change or delete old ones. That's it.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You can use code to lock down your FE files.

data808 is offline Noob
    The table is one i want to lock. I want the forms to be the only way to edit records. Tables are too risky. This is why I want the table locked. So how do you lock it on the front end?

Adaytay is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Hi,

The quickest and easiest way is to disable the following Access options (File > Access Options > Current database)

Show Navigation Pane - untick
    Enable Special Keys - untick - note this disables F11 from displaying the Navigation Pane.

If you needed to gain access to the tables you could hold SHIFT to access the database. It's also possible to lock this although it is more involved.

data808 is offline Noob
    This sounds like the user, if they are Access experienced, will be able to undo those settings to get to the table. I already know how to hide the table. I need it to ask for maybe a password to open the table. I know this can be done on the back end but once I link it to the front end the password is stored with the front end and will no longer require a password to open the table from the front end, only the back end.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by data808 View Post
    ... I already know how to hide the table. I need it to ask for maybe a password to open the table..
    So introduce some VBA to hide everyrthing and then publish your FE as an executible. Here is some info on locking down a file using VBA.

https://www.accessforums.net/securit...lbar-3536.html

NTC is offline VIP
    security is conceptually in layers. the more layers you add the more you must manage which can be a hassle in terms of design changes to the application.

one can write log-in techniques which controls/segregates what data a user can view/edit
    one can compile the front end to accde and remove the normal bypass keys
    one can encrypt/password protect the back end - so if someone copies to their own system then cannot open tables

combined this is extremely secure and very very difficult to crack

Xipooo is offline Sr. Database Developer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Have you considered using MS SQL Express for your back end? It is free and you can add more layers of security including access at the table level for only specific users. Your storage capacity is much larger than an Access backend too. Then you can use VBA on your FE to set the DSN-less ODBC connection on each one of the linked tables. If you convert to ACCDE then the VBA will be compiled and unaccessible so they cannot get at the connection strings.

Alternatively you can use MySQL with similar functionality as MS SQL Express.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.