sharkey_lsu is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Contribute to a Database Without MS Access

I am not incredibly experienced with MS Access, but I have taught myself as I have go. I've created a database for my office to access and contribute to, but considering the size of the company it is not feasable to install access on all computers and I would also like the database to be available through the web so that users can view it from anywhere. I am happy with the look and performance of the database but I am not sure how to make it available through the web or anything like that. If not through the web, I would at least need it to be accessed and contributed to through some other means that MS Access. Is this possible in any way? I would appreciate any advice.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why isn't it feasible - cost? Company doesn't buy Office suite with Access for every PC?

Excel can interact with Access but this would require a lot of coding.

SharePoint can give web functionality but this requires building web database.

Other web programming applications can work with databases - Cold Fusion comes to mind.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sharkey_lsu is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    That is the exact reason. The database is for a Landscape Architecture company and individual employees do not need MS Access for any other application. And with 200+ employees firm-wide, the end result would not be woth the cost of upgrading the office suite for all computers to include access. I would like to have MS Access installed on a few shared computers for maintenance purposes, but have the remaining employees access and contribute to the database through some other means. The ability to contribute is one of the most important features that is required for the goal of this database.

I believe sharepoint is an option that has been suggested but I am unexperienced with using it. Also, the database uses multi-value fields which I believe justifies the use of sharepoint but I believe Sharepoint would also require purchase/installation on all computers that wish to access the database.

I was really just hoping that there is a way to store the database on a server and create a web-site (or some free alternative) that links to the database and functions to view or contribute to the database through the use of forms. Maybe I am missing something though.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You can always install Access runtime on clients that do not have the full version of Access. Not sure what the best solution for web access is.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What does management say? What do they need? Did someone commission a study? Has anyone identified a "business issue/opportunity"?
    Get the problem identified first? Then identify the options and costs.

Xipooo is offline Sr. Database Developer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    My suggestion would be to maintain a back end database of MS SQL Server and use Access as just one of many different front end UI's. This is a very common strategy and allows for scalability to other platforms. You can use the Free Access Run-Time to distribute your Front End to others on your network. You can even bundle your Front End with the run-time installer into an MSI package and distribute it through the Group Policy of your Domain.

The majority of my clients use MS SQL as their back end and Access as just a UI.

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you have a network admin manager ask if can setup a remote desktop, uses one copy on server.

Use your computer to connect to a computer that is located elsewhere and run programs or access files, you can also use local drives and resources depending on how it's setup. I don't know how to set it up, I have it at work and home this way. Uses windows server 2008R2 standard

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

why making the detour to learn yourself access, when there are a lot of tools that are designed to make data-driven websites? I would take a look at platforms like Drupal or so, easy to learn and designed to do what you need. I find it very important to first choose the right tool for the job at hand.

success
    Noëlla

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu View Post
    Also, the database uses multi-value fields which I believe <snip>
    This is why it is not recommented to use MVFs. Difficult to convert to a data-driven website or to SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.