Jennifer Murphy is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Security warning Certain content disabled...

From what I can tell from searching on this error message, I need to put the path to the database in the Trusted Locations. One website warns against putting the entire hard disk (C:\) or even all of My Documents (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents). Or if I do, then be careful about databases that I might get from someone else.

What is the recommended solution? I plan to put the database files in whatever folder they relate to. I certainly don't want to have to manually add each of those folders to the list of trusted locations. I imagine that all of my databases will be somewhere in My Documents. Is there really any serious problem with adding "My Documents" and all subfolders to the trusted locations?

I see that there is also a "Trusted Publishers" list. Is there a way that I can add myself to that list so that any database that I create is automatically trusted?

I don't plan to download a lot of strange databases from anywhere and the ones I write will only be for my personal use.

What do most of you do for that scenario?

Do most of you put all of your database files in the same folder, rather than in whatever folder they are related to?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jennifer Murphy; 02-02-2014 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Additional question

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I've never used Trusted Locations. I just set everyone's Access app option to enable all code. This is not an issue at my work because nobody else ever downloads database files with code. I've never gotten bit by home downloads.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Managing trusted locations in a network environment is not simple. If you choose to enforce trusted locations....

If possible, I would dedicate a folder on a server for your BE file. Place the BE file one level down from the root of the dedicated share folder (in its own folder to help avoid being disturbed). Create other folders to hold files relative to the BE file(s). The registry on each client machine would then be adjusted to "Trust" the share folder and to "include subfolders". It is recommended to use the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) when linking to files from the FE. When using UNC, the registry on the client machines will need an additional edit to allow "Network Locations".

I would create another folder on the C drive of the client machines for the FE. A similar directory structure should be created and a similar edit to the registry for the FE folder(s) as you did for the BE. The main distinction is this folder is not to be shared.

When I use VBA to create files that are not Access files, I make sure to use folders that reside within one of the two locations described. VBA would create and or access a file that resides in the server share or the C drive folder dedicated for the FE.

There is more than one way to edit the registry. Here is an example of using VBA to adjust trusted locations for Access databases.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I've never used Trusted Locations. I just set everyone's Access app option to enable all code. This is not an issue at my work because nobody else ever downloads database files with code. I've never gotten bit by home downloads.
    Do you mean the "Enable all macros" option in the Macro settings section of the Trust Center? (The one that says, parenthetically, "not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run"?)

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Managing trusted locations in a network environment is not simple. If you choose to enforce trusted locations....

If possible, I would dedicate a folder on a server for your BE file. Place the BE file one level down from the root of the dedicated share folder (in its own folder to help avoid being disturbed). Create other folders to hold files relative to the BE file(s). The registry on each client machine would then be adjusted to "Trust" the share folder and to "include subfolders". It is recommended to use the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) when linking to files from the FE. When using UNC, the registry on the client machines will need an additional edit to allow "Network Locations".

I would create another folder on the C drive of the client machines for the FE. A similar directory structure should be created and a similar edit to the registry for the FE folder(s) as you did for the BE. The main distinction is this folder is not to be shared.

When I use VBA to create files that are not Access files, I make sure to use folders that reside within one of the two locations described. VBA would create and or access a file that resides in the server share or the C drive folder dedicated for the FE.

There is more than one way to edit the registry. Here is an example of using VBA to adjust trusted locations for Access databases.
    This is for private home use. The only network I am on is a P2P linking my two computers (workstation and laptop) and a wireless LAN.

What are BE and FE files? (Oh, sorry, I get it. Back End and Front End)

I will definitely have macros and form code. I want the simplest solution that doesn't expose me to typical risk.
    Last edited by Jennifer Murphy; 02-02-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Answer to BE/FE,

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, I mean the "Enable all macros" option in the Macro settings section of the Trust Center. (The one that says, parenthetically, "not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run")
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    If you have your macro security set to High, you will be prompted to accept the security risk of opening the file. If you are running a full version of Access and accept the risk, Access will prompt you once more if you would like to add the DB as a trusted DB and Access will adjust your machine's registry for you.

From there, you can do further adjustments using options in the "Trust Center". In the trust center you can add more folders and change settings for "Trusted Files" locations.

SoreGums is offline Novice
    is there a way to detect the trust centre has bloked things and thus handle this situation by simply prompting the user to click enable and then close the database and reopen it?

my code runs anyway attempting to locate the backend - it does so - however because it can save the new info and puts up extra errors.
    then because it found the BE it then opens the main form and produces more errors because the table linking didn't work...

SoreGums is offline Novice
    figured out a way to handle what i was talking about http://youtu.be/maW3tOsOsiQ

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.