Modify_inc is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Attachments are now greyed out, cannot access attachments

My attachment field in my Form has quit working. I can still see the icon for the documents in each record, but if I right click, everything is greyed out. I can not open the attachment either to view the document.

I tried removing the attachment field control, and adding it back with no luck.

I tried removing the attachment field completely from the table, and yet Access still apparently thinks it's there, even after saving and restarting Access.

Now when I try to open the Form, (remember the attachment field has been removed from the table) I am presented with the dialog box 'Enter Parameter Value' for Attachments.FileData. Click ok, next one says WorkLog.Attachments. Click ok, next one says Attachments.FileName. Click ok, next one says Attachment.FileType. Click ok, then I finally have access to my Form.

I noticed the Add Existing Fields still shows FileData, Attachments, FileName and FileType even though I deleted the Attchment field in my table. Also they are listed individually, instead of in the tree view (plus and minus) as attachments I believe are usually listed.

If I right click on one of the fields under the Add Existing Fields and click the Edit Record Source. I notice Expr1:Attachments.FileData is listed as well as two or three others. If I remove them and save it, I can use the Form without it asking me for the input value before it opens. When I close the Form and try again, it reverts back to asking me for the input values again for the attachment data. Going back to Edit Record Source, I find the Expr1:Attachments.FileData is back and checked.

On a positive note, I was able to create another attachment field in my table, using a different name, and it works when I use it in my Form. I just need to figure out how to clear this old attachment field from Access as I assume it has become corrupt or in an invalid state.

Thanks
    Mike

June7 is offline VIP
    Sounds like corruption. If Compact & Repair does not fix, might have to rebuild table and/or form or even a new db file. Try import to new file.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Modify_inc View Post
    ...I noticed the Add Existing Fields...
    I must be superstitous or something because I have been avoiding the Add Existing Fields thing and sticking to the design view to manage fields/properties in tables.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.