Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    drhassan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

A query based on user input in form

I would like to use multiple parameters query bound to text fields and combo boxes in a search form. I want to let the users to search for any value in their records by optional fields. I have used the classical way for filtering my data through this criteria [forms]![name of the form]![fieldname],but with no success. If I have used one criteria alone the query's working fine.

What is wrong with my query or what is wrong with me?

Please see attached a screenshot for my query, hopefully to understand what's going wrong here?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot.png  

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    According to your query design, these conditions are being ANDed. Is that what you want? Or should these be ORs. If so,then the conditions mmust be placed on separate lines.

Good point. All search fields are optional, and I've already tried to put two of those criteria in the ORs line, but the query came out with null values whenever I entered any inputs in the search field based on optional criteria.

Windows XP Access 2003
    What I 'm saying is all values must be present to get results

My suggestion is to try with one one condition, get it working and then move to 2 conditions...

No. Should be any input in any search field shows result. They are independent text fields.

No way I tried your suggestion, but still I couldn't get right results.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Options:

1. the parameterized query using LIKE operator with wildcard in criteria as you have set up should work, review http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...earchform.html
    However, null fields will be ignored, if any records will be null for those fields, might need to handle the nulls if you want to retrieve those records. Two ways to do that.
    a. LIKE "*" [Forms]![Searchform]![shipmententry] & "*" OR Is Null
    b. create fields with Nz() to convert the nulls and apply the wildcard criteria to those constructed fields.
    Nz([fieldname],"")

2. dynamically construct filter criteria string and set form Filter property, review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62code.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I followed the steps of the first option that you suggested literally with no success, but do you know, ounce I have replaced the combobox with text box, the query works fine. NO EXPLANATION to my knowledge for that. Do you?

Thanks

Windows XP Access 2003
    It is difficult to say without seeing the exact code that was executed. But it changing combo to text was the major difference, then perhaps some issue with syntax
    related to combo.

June7 is online now VIP
    Was the combobox multi-column with lookup alias? Show the combobox properties:

RowSource
    ColumnCount
    ColumnWidths
    BoundColumn
    ControlSource
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Was the combobox multi-column with lookup alias? Show the combobox properties:

RowSource
    ColumnCount
    ColumnWidths
    BoundColumn
    ControlSource
    Please see the attached images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails combo.png   combo.png  

June7 is online now VIP
    I don't see Combo44 referenced in the query parameters.

Didn't show the BoundColumn property but I will assume it is 1. That means value of the combobox is ID. Is this combobox referenced as parameter under ID field of query? If you aren't filtering by ID then don't include it in the combobox RowSource.

I don't see Combo44 referenced in the query parameters.

I have two comboboxes in my search form. This is one of them.

Didn't show the BoundColumn property but I will assume it is 1. That means value of the combobox is ID. Is this combobox referenced as parameter under ID field of query? If you aren't filtering by ID then don't include it in the combobox RowSource.
    I have two comboboxes in my search form. Combo44 is one of them.

The BoundColumn property apeared in the first image. Anyway, could I change the BoundColumn property to equal 2 to let the combobox filters the values of the second column? This will make it easy for the user to select any value from a list of 20 items.

June7 is online now VIP
    Try it, what happens?

Could just uncomplicated the combobox by making it one column since the ID field is not used.

Try it, what happens?

Could just uncomplicated the combobox by making it one column since the ID field is not used.
    Now, when I entered more than two criteria in my query, the query is coming with no values even with only textboxes in the search form.

I give up, please could you help me and solve this problem. I have attached my database below.

Query name: qrysearch
    Form name: searchform

Thank you in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    There is no query named qrySearch. There is Query QRY_SearchAll with parameters referencing the form. Only 4 of the form controls are referenced. None of the criteria handle nulls as I suggested in post 6. Is it possible that those fields might be null for some records?

There is only one combobox on the form - Combo44. It has code to requery itself - why?Combo44 still has ID in the RowSource sql and BoundColumn 1.

I can't read or type the language (Arabic?) so can't test the filtering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.