Sandra5238686 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Starting attendance for a new grade without deleting last grade attendance

I am working on a student database using the student database template. I want to key in attendance but once they graduate that grade, move them to the next grade and starting there attendance over. I would like to retain the previouse information.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra5238686 View Post
    ...I would like to retain the previouse information.
    Are you deleting information? What have you tried so far?

Just begin this. We have students 12 weeks classes with attenandance and payments for that 12 week course. I want to be ahead of myself when finish level 1 they will move on to level 2 so on and so forth. I want to be able to start new attendance and payment history with every level. I have all information of new students and have not deleted information of the other students but they are going to move up a grade and I dont know how to move them to new grade?

It is good to know you are not deleting the data. I understand students will graduate from their current course. Usually people post their questions about specific problems they encounter while developing a program. You questions are too vague for me to be able to help. Perhaps you can explain why the information is not available. This is why I asked what you have tried so far. It is important for you to understand how your database works.

In the Student database template it has tables for attandance, student and guardians. The grade of student is in student table. I change the guardians to coaches and still need to add an payment table. What I need is how to build it. This template is fine for entering current students but I need to know how to move the students to new grade, do I start with a new table????

You could probably get by with updating the value in the Student table to their current grade/course. They graduate from a course and you type a new value in the field. There may be a conflict when considering other records if the grade value is used as a Key value. In other words, you need to determine if changing the value for the grade will have an adverse affect on other records in other tables. It may not though. It just depends on the data structure.

June7 is online now VIP
    I am looking at the Students template downloaded with Access 2007. It has a field for [Level], is that what you use for grade?

The Level value is not saved in any related table. Can change the student level and not impact any other records. The Attendance is documented with date, not grade level. No attendance records are lost. Just continue entering attendance for the new year.

If you want to know the 3rd grade attendance record of a student now in 6th grade, would have to determine what year that student was in 3rd grade and set query filter criteria with a date range. As structured, there is no historical documentation linking grade level with year. And what if student repeated grade?

One way to exclude non-current students from forms and reports is to leave the Level and/or Room fields blank (Null). Then modify queries to filter out where field Is Null.

The template is okay but it does things I would not, such as: using macros, setting lookups in tables, spaces and symbols/punctuation in naming convention.
    Last edited by June7; 01-16-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.