Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dipitiduda2 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Subform with Attachments Control - Add/Remove/View/Save As/Save All Buttons Disabled

Hello All: I am using Access 2013 in Windows 7 64-bit environment on a shared network. I am struggling with why the buttons to Add, Remove, View, Save As and Save All on the Attachments Control are disabled. I am able to insert the control on my subform - main form with mutiple tabs and subforms - add the Control Source and save the changes. When I open the main form and click on the Attachments Control object it opens up the dialog box with the aforementioned buttons greyed out.

I have searched online for any guidance to help me fix this problem, but am unable to determine why it's not working. Here's what I've checked and set thus far:

Trust Center
    - Macro Settings = checked for Enable all macros
    - Trusted Locations = added network locations for shared database
    - Trusted Documents = checked for Allow documents on a network to be trusted
    - ActiveX Settings = checked for Prompt me before enabling all controls with minimal restrictions & checked for Safe mode (helps limit the control's access to your computer)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm really stumped on this one. Thank you!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Want to provide db? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June7: I am not able to provide you a copy of the database because it belongs to my employer, but I can answer any questions you might have or maybe even provide some screenshots of the forms. I know providing the dBase would be the easiest way to go about it but I'm prohibited from doing so. Please advise. thank you!

June7 is online now VIP
    The only way I could replicate the issue is by setting to No the AllowEdits property of form used as subform.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yeah, I tried that early on but it did not fix the attachments control issue. A little background - this dBase was in Access 2007 so decided to create a new .accdb file and import as much data as I could to the new version/format. It is not a complicated dBase at all and there are only 3 macros and one module. One macro is AutoExec which opens the Main form in Window normal mode. The other 2 macros are to Maximize the form's window and the other one is for a Mapping tool I have on the form to grab the address data and open a webpage to map directions for that address. The module is related to the Mapping tool. thank you!

June7: I just read a post in this forum "Suddenly unable to add new record" that describes perfectly what I'm experiencing in addition to the attachments control issue. I am also unable to add a record via the form, but I can add it through the table. The dBase that I upgraded from was split originally into a front/back end. I copied/pasted as much of the table structure as possible into the new dBase when I created the new one. Arggh!

June7 is online now VIP
    The form worked under 2007? You tested under 2013 before import? Sorry, can't be more helpful. I don't have Access 2013 available.

June7: Sorry about that...no problem at all. Yes, the dBase worked in 2007, I created a new dBase in 2013 and imported a lot of the data but rebuilt most of the table structure, queries/subs, forms/subs. Have a great day!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    That other thread does not have a lot of insight to what conditions the OP is working with. Maybe your issue is around the attachment field. Perhaps creating another DB to test with is an option. Import the table to a blank DB and try to duplicate the symptom. If you duplicate the symptom then maybe delete the attachment column. Maybe export the attachment files and then re-import them programaticaly.

ItsMe: Thank you for your response. From your posts I had some other ideas so I created a new form, added the control source from the main table instead of using the query/subquery, then inserted the attachments control and it worked perfectly. I then tried to change the control source on the subform for the attachments control and had no luck with it. So, at least I know that my dBase is ok if the control works in a newly created form (sans the subform). thank you!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Interesting about the subform. I would think there should be a way. Glad to hear you have a handle on things though.

June7 is online now VIP
    Very odd. I had no problem with the attachment field in a subform. The RecordSource is an SQL statement.

June7: I wonder if it's my Record Source that's causing the issue? I think I need to reexamine my query/subquery/base table joins before I go any further. If you are able to make it work it means that something is amiss on my end. I think now that my inability to add/edit my form and the issue with Attachments Control is somehow related to how I've built out my queries/subqueries.

Thank you ItsMe and June7 for taking time to point me in the right direction!

June7 is online now VIP
    Ahhh, good point. Possible the query is not updatable by its design. Is it not just the attachment field but all fields? So is this form/subform a rebuild, not just imported?

June7: I finally got the Attachments Control to work correctly by reworking my queries/forms. The issue was related to my queries not being updateable due to bad design on my part. Appreciate your assistance.

Moderator: This thread can be marked as solved. If I can find where to mark it as so I will; otherwise please mark on my behalf. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.