EHittner is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Exclusive Access Error When Multiple Users are In the DB

I have a nagging issue with an error message popping up when multiple users are in my DB. When either switching between forms (via macro in a command button) or, in this case, simply opening a form -- when another user has the db open, I get the error "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later." After clicking "OK" several times, it finally opens the desired form.

Basically, it's treating the opening of a form within the db as if I'm opening it in design mode. I've checked about every property setting I could find, but I simply can't see why it would do this. You solve this, you're my HERO!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you using a macro or startup settings to open a form when the DB is opened?. Is this a bound form? See if the same symptoms occur when macros and or forms are not automaticaly executed/loaded at startup.

Actually, there are no macro triggers or startup settings at all. Just a simple Open function. On the initial open, the database "Display Form" setting is to the Main form. I get the error on that opening. And again on any switch to another form. Typically, the "switch to" action is a short macro on a command button calling to close the current window and open another form. However, from the main, it simply just opens the form -- to keep the Main open in the background. This is strange, because I've used the same methods on previous databases with no issue. I believe this started when I began developing in Access 2010. Don't know if that may be an issue or not.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by EHittner View Post
    ...Just a simple Open function. On the initial open, the database "Display Form" setting is to the Main form...
    I am going to guess that clearing "Display Form" setting will remove the symptom, especialy now that I hear you say this is where the error is happening. Can you post the code for your Open Function?

Also, how difficult will it be to rebuild the main form from scratch. What I am eluding to is a corrupt form that has embedded macros, macros that have been deleted, name changed, upgraded, imported.... something changed that corrupted the form, I am guessing.

Thanks to all who replied. The solution to this problem was to publish the db as an accde database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.