Sorting in a form

I want to develop a form for the users to be able to search on either a license number or by name. Currently, I am thinking of 2 seperate text boxes (1 each) and when the user fills in then leaves the box, it triggers an event to search.
    There are several tables (Name and address info on one, License info on a second) that are joined by the NameID.
    (This is in Access 2000)

What sort of approach should I go? I would like to try VB and ADO, but I am open to whatever can work.
    Thanks

Is the form bound or unbound?

If the form is bound, then perhaps the easiest thing to do is to use a ComboBox with a control source using the field you want to search.

What I am planning is an unbound text box. There are over 6000 records. Using a drop down would entail having the user go through a lot of records. I figure the computer can do that task more easily.
    Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDouglas
    There are over 6000 records. Using a drop down would entail having the user go through a lot of records. I figure the computer can do that task more easily.
    Paul,

I still think this would be OK. I recommended a ComboBox because you can set up the control such that, once the user starts typing the beginning of the reference item, the ComboBox will "jump" to the first record that matches what was typed. Thus, if I know what I want starts 'XYZ', I do not have to scroll down to the record, I can just start typing.

Does that make sense?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.