Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    tristandoo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

POS form set up

I have "Version 1" created and working but just want to add some features to it.

One of which is when I click on the image (product) it updates and displays [product1]+1 (just the number not that exact phrase) each time I click.

Also I know that there is a much better way of having my entire database set up but I just can't quite figure it out. Any help would be great. Feel free to go in and change things around and do whatever. (If uploading to google add user name to filename so I can give credit where it is due)

I am adding a google link to a folder because I feel for those trying to do the same thing as I and cant find a example and don't want to go through and make yet another account. Google Link toMS Access CookiePOS

P.s. Yes I know they are Girl Scout Cookies...Try not to drool over the keyboard too much
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Any chance you could convert it to 2007, can't view the 2010 format from current computer

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Does table Cookies - Sold have calculated field? - can't open that table in Access 2007.

Not seeing any image controls on any forms or report so what do you mean by 'click on the image'?

Will have to look at this later with Access 2010.

Conventional approach for retail db is to record transactions of product in (purchases) and product out (sales) then calculate the difference to determine product on hand (inventory). The inventory calculation would not be saved to table so your data structure is not in line with that model.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I tried to save to 200 2003 format but it wont let me for some reason because they are not compatible with each other

June7: Yes it has a formula to calculate the total price of the sale. ((box total) * 4.50)
    .There should be images on the 'CookiePOS' form

I have re-uploaded a ZIP file. I saved it differently so see if that works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Don't use macros for this use VBA.

go to your form view.

click on your picture of samoas (my favorite by the way)

open the properties window
    scroll down to the ON CLICK event
    remove the 'test' macro reference you have there
    Click the button with the ... on it
    Click CODE BUILDER

type in

samoas1 = samoas1 + 1

For all your other cookies make sure you are clicking the IMAGE not the label, you have made the labels on the other cookies the same size as the image and if you just click on the image it the label is in the foreground so it's the item selected instead of the image.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    p.s. calculated values in a table is a bad idea, as are multi value fields, you don't need them (as june has pointed out). in fact your table structure is not normalized at all which isn't the best idea in the world but it's for a once a year girl scout cookie run so I won't be too harsh on that!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Calculated fields in table and Shared pictures on form are not allowing 2007 to open file.

EDIT: I see where I made my mistake and tried adding a value to a null field called Samoas and not the Samoas1 control
    rpeare,
    not sure why samoas1 = samoas1 + 1 is not working but it is not. I tried the same thing first and it failed to add to 0

trinstandoo,

Perhaps you can incorporate the text into the picture file so the user is not confused when the click a label. The following code will work in the click event of your image controls. THis will test for zero value.

Code:
    If IsNull(Me.Samoas.Value) Or Me.Samoas.Value = 0 Then
        Me.Samoas.Value = 1
    Else
        Me.Samoas.Value = Me.Samoas.Value + 1
    End If
    You want to place this in a click event so... (just like rpeare described) remove the text from the click event that describes your macro. Click on the elipses (...) and click "Code Builder". Paste the code into the new event handler. You will want to adjust hte code to match the respective control/field names.

Also, you may want to have your POS form not open at startup and open as a new order via another event, like a click event for a "New Order".

June7 is offline VIP
    Okay, now I see the image controls. I clicked on Tagalongs first and just saw label.

repeare has a point - it is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output so if this gets you through the season ...
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    he's got two controls referencing the same field, samoas1 and samoas2 (one next to the picture, one in the lower right corner) the name of the control is not samoas, itsme, that's why you're not updating correctly. I am looking at the second version of his database, not the first (if that's what you're looking at).

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Looking at the first... I was confused and did not notice two bound controls, they both have default value of zero. One did not want to receive the calculation while the other was OK with it. Weird.

Tried the samoa1 = samoa1 + 1 thing and it worked.

Please explain more on this normalized table thing. I come from excel land there we love our calculated fields, but here in Access land apparently this isn't the case. So how would you fix that problem as well?

I understand the label boxes cover the whole image and all (except the samoas) that was what I was going for in V1 but changing that in V2 so the click thing works the right way. I only fixed samoas because I was testing things out and used just one cookie at a time.

ItsMe please explain your logic behind "
    Also, you may want to have your POS form not open at startup and open as a new order via another event, like a click event for a "New Order"." I do see where you are going but I would have to make a form with that button on it and what else? ( i guess I could go with a few report links but that is all I am thinking of let me know if you got something else)

Again feel free to edit something and send the file back.

Will be working on the click set up for all cookies while I wait for a reply

Ok so here is what I did:

Major:
    Changed all the pics to get the whole click and adds one thing to work
    Added a example splash Screen form that would open when opening the database (ItsMe, this is more towards you) there is text in there explaining everything

Minor:
    Deleted Test macro
    Deleted the Inventory forms (they never did what I wanted to anyway, better to start from scratch on this)

This things does need some cleaning up I know. I really should have cleaned it up before posting, my bad on that.

Working on:
    Close sale button on CookiePOS form
    Inventory set up (if I get anywhere)

P.s. Sorry for not capping my I's all the time, I hit the shift key but the other hand can't keep up lol

June7 is offline VIP
    This might give you some insight on database normalization http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

Or search web on: database normalization

ItsMe might have been suggesting something like a 'main menu' form with buttons for various processes such as: Enter New Sale, Print Sales Report, etc.

Got a Close Sale button working now. VBA just is not the same as html, php, or TiBasic, it tends to be more command line structured.

Do you thik it would be reasonable to normalize my database now or wait until the inventory is set up June7?

As far as calculated fields how would i get rid of them but still get that data to show up?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.