bakkouz is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Is there a way to populate a continuous form based on another continuous form?

Ok I'm not sure how to explain this so i'll try my best to be as specific as possible.
    I need to build a preventive maintenance form that records actions taken on cabinets for certain dates, each cabinet is maintained weekly and contains multiple items, the actions are records for the items inside the cabinet and the date is recorded for the cabinet itself.
    I have created a table for the cabinets which is structured simply as follows:

ID__ Cabinet__
    1__ Administration
    2__ HR
    3__ Financial
    4__ Salaries

and another table for the cabinet contents which is structured as follows:

ID__ LineNumber_ Item__
    1__ 1________ Switch
    1__ 2________ Router
    1__ 3________ Transformer
    2__ 1________ Switch
    2__ 2________ Converter

And so on. I've built a continous form for the second table (cabint contents) and embeded it onto the main form for the cabinets and used the ID as master/child link. this is simply to add/modify the items/cabinet names/location.

Now for the question: I want to create a third form for the actual maintenance data; ie: date and action per item per cabinet. what I want to do is create a form which a combo box that selects the cabinet name, and beneath it is a continuous form to display the items inside the cabinet with the action performed on each item. But, I am not sure how to do that, I need the continuous form in the new main maintenance form to somehow pull data from the first form and add them into the second form and store them into a third table. I've tried to figure it out but I cannot understand how to do this.
    I hope that I've managed to clearly explained my predicament. Is there a way to do this?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Doesn't each item have a serial or property number that uniquely identifies each item? Or use an autonumber type field to generate a unique record id for the content items. Select the content item from combobox list and save its id into the third table maintenance record.

The combobox RowSource can be a query that joins the first two tables so that the cabinet and associated contents can be viewed.

Or use two comboxes, one to select the cabinet and the second filters the content items based on selection of first combobox. This is called cascading or dependent comboboxes. View demo at http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox2.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bakkouz is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hey June,
    Yeah i did go with the second option after all, thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.