dcdimon is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Switch from a hosted SQL backend to a local SQL backend during network outage

I've searched through the forums and online and haven't really found a workable solution to what I'm trying to do.

I have a split database where the backend is hosted off-site on a SQL server. There is a local server onsite running an SQL-lite type program that we used to test the database during development. What I'd like to do is set up a process where we can switch to the local server when we lose internet connectivity so that we can continue to collect data without the need to revert to paper forms.

Is there a way to programmatically set up a button/macro/form to make the switch? In my head I envision being able to click on a button and have the links move from the hosted server BE to the local server BE without any intervention from the user. The switch would only be a change in where the server is located, the table names and number would be identical. I've seen code for when it's an Access BE and FE, but nothing for SQL server side BE's.

The BE is hosted off-site because of our IT policy, so keeping it local isn't an option. However, we can use a temporary, local server for network downtime and then append the tables to the hosted server.

Is this something that's do-able or am I asking for too much flexibility?

Thanks,

DD

lfpm062010 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    This is one way.

Change the ODBC source of the link table.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;159691

Note: I have not tested this code. It is from Microsoft. Good luck.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do you have experience with network outage on your current FE/BE setup? If the network fails, do you get any corruption issues on restart?

I think (haven't done it in a production environment) that it would be much like changing from BE_A to BE_B. Where BE_A is remote and BE_B is local.
    Especially since you are recording data entry, not updating a number of remote tables.
    Good luck.

dcdimon is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Do you have experience with network outage on your current FE/BE setup? If the network fails, do you get any corruption issues on restart?

I think (haven't done it in a production environment) that it would be much like changing from BE_A to BE_B. Where BE_A is remote and BE_B is local.
    Especially since you are recording data entry, not updating a number of remote tables.
    Good luck.

We've only had a single instance (so far) or a network outage. However, we're just moving to using the Access database so we're not sure how persistent this may be. When we had the outage that's when the idea came up for some way to work around a network outage.

I'm sure that the process is pretty simple, I just need to get the coding down.

Thanks all for the suggestions I'll update the post on how it goes - sooner if I can't make any forward movement.

DD

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.