justair07 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

VBA to locate a file and print it

Hello,

I'm very new to Access and especially VBA. Can someone help me get started with the correct syntax for locating a file, and printing it. The file will be a PDF and if possible I would like to declare a variable for the file name (not the path) so if it is changed I can just change the variable instead of looking for it in the code. I plan to have 10 of these.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to lend a helping hand.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Not sure what you are trying to do. I understand the need to print a file, but how do you want to search for it? How do you imagine the action of locating the file?

I have several access forms that are almost identical to paper forms that are stored on our company server network. I would like for the user to open the access form, press a button and it prints the actual paper form located on the server network. They will then go offsite to complete the paper form, return to there desk and fill in the access form. FYI, I'm using a split database.

I've ran macros in excel that open other files by the following code:
    Code:
    Workbooks.Open ("\\myFilePath")
    I was hoping access had the same capabilities, only instead of open, it would simply print.

Windows XP Access 2003
    The answer is you log the path at the time the "form" is printed into a field in a table.

Having said that, post #3 is causing some confusion for me. When I hear the term, "Access form", I think of an Access Object that is a part of an Access database file. Opening an Access form allows users to view and or input data directly into tables in Access database files.

If Access is printing a PDF file located on a network share and you want to search for that same file at a later date, you should store the path of the PDF file at the time it is printed.

Correct.

Just to clarify, I have a navigation form that is linked to 10 forms. Each form represents an audit sheet that the user needs to input data. Before they input data they need to collect it first. Thats why I was hoping for a way where they can press a button and access will print a procedure(pdf, not access related) for the user to collect there data on. The procedure is a pdf that is completely separate from access.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Printing files is not complicated. You need to know the path to the file. Discovering the path can be done with the user's input via a Windows file picker.

I prefer not to depend on user input for these situations and will instead keep track of the paths for important PDF files. I use Windows Active Directory to create permissions that restrict movement of and the editing of these protected files. These permissions ensure the hardcoded paths will always work.

You can also use a file picker in conjunction with a secure directory by hard coding a default location to begin in.

Awesome thank you for your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.