simply_steph is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Trouble adding attachments without bypassing database start-up

I have a split database, using Access 2010, Sharepoint is 2007 I believe.
    I have a form where I can enter requests onto a log and I've set it up to allow attachments. However, I get an error of "Cannot update. Database or object is read-only." if I try to add/remove attachments on a record. I have no issues adding and updating the data other than the attachments.
    I've also found that if I bypass the start-up options (using shift) then the attachments work fine. Unfortunately, through trial and error, I haven't been able to find a database option which I can enable and fix the problem.

I'm looking for an answer on how to have this functionality enabled without bypassing startup (I've only intended to do basic things like hide the nav pane).

Thanks!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In Client Settings there are Advanced Options to lock records and Open Exclusive. Did you check to see if the advanced settings need to be adjusted? I don't use attachments so I am not sure if there are special settings at the table level for Attachments fields.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is the process for uploading a file into attachment field with SharePoint?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I don't know that I'd ever been in that section, but just took a look and it's set to open "shared" and with "no locks." Appreciate the suggestion but that doesn't seem to be the answer.
    I'm open to any ideas that can fix this and have been (unsuccessfully) googling a LOT to try and figure it out, but I've assumed that since I can get around the issue by holding shift when opening, the issue would be somewhere in the current database settings. Maybe I'm wrong on that?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Could be a form is loading and VBA or Macro in startup is causing the issue. Any thoughts on June's comment?

I'm not quite sure I follow the question about SharePoint. In Access it's just a small window similar to most Microsoft products where you choose to add an attachment and then browse to its location. Directly in the SharePoint list, it works similarly. I believe in SharePoint I have to double-click the field and then proceed the same way.

It's a very simple database. There is a form that loads on start-up, though I don't believe it's doing anything more than filtering a table to be viewed as a datasheet. If there'd be a property or something on the form that opens on startup (no other coding exists for that) then please point me to it!

Windows XP Access 2003
    You could try removing the form from startup and see if the behavior changes. Not to many members in the forum here are familiar with SharePoint. Any info you can provide regarding SharePoint may help. Perhaps it is relevant where the table resides and if there are rules that the SharePoint server imposes regarding access to objects.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I've never used SharePoint so did some searching. Ran across a thread that mentioned 'clicking button at top of form to upload attachment'.

ItsMe has a good point. Remove the special start up settings. Reset them one at time and test between each. When does the issue appear?

Maybe question on a SharePoint forum will be more productive.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.