diane802 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Creating a Switchboard button - search for record and open up specific form / report

Hi -

I am in the process of creating a main switchboard for users to utilize when they open a database.

I already created a button, that allows them to use Form A to create a new record.

How can I create a button that allows them to search for a specific record (via either the Primary Key ID, Last Name, First Name, etc) and then it will open up the Form A for them to edit this record?

Also - how can I have them open up say a report that I create specific to that individual - the report will basically be a printer friendly version of the form - since it seems as though its hard to make a form printer friendly.

Thank you!
    Diane

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    what you describe is not performed in a switchboard form; open the next form, then have a combo box at top to select the record for the form to go to....

as to the report; in the form have a button that will open/print a report - - very common i.e. "Print" obviously you have to design a report that looks much like the form itself....

diane802 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    thanks NTC - I created the combo box up top to select the record for the form to go to..

but is there no way to make this part of the switchboard? a way to have a pop-up that asks to type in Last name & First name, or ID, and then pop up the related records and give you an option to go to the form?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    yes - one can customize; the way shown is the vanilla embedded method that Access offers without requiring customization.

one can put the combobox in any other form, including the switchboard. then in the opening arguments of the target form one can refer to the value of the combobox - - or - - the target form can be sourced on a query - and the query uses criteria from the combobox.

The second method may be easier for the beginner - not sure.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.