Ondrea is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Vertically spacing options in an option group/or other survey formatting suggestions

Hello all,
    It is my first time to the forum, so any suggestions on proper etiquette are welcome . I am working with someone to create a survey in Access 2010. I am designing the front end forms for the survey, and he is connecting the front end forms to a SQL database. The end result should be a digital survey students take online, with a series of questions, each question having about 5 options after it that a student can choose from. The problem I am having is with formatting controls within the form. The alignment tools for left/right/bottom/top/etc work fine. It is the equal spacing option for in between controls (ex: equal vertical) that I am having issues with. It works fine if you use the 'option button' controls seperately, but my partner wants me to create an 'option group' to put the 'option buttons' inside. He seems to think that that is the only way the form will work, because we tried just using the seperate option buttons, and they will not let the user switch between options, they all just stay selected. Since Access will not let me use the 'equal vertical' command within the option group, I have also tried just selecting all the option buttons inside the option group and hitting the 'Stacked' button under the Arrange tab, in the Form Design Tools group. This distributed my options equally vertically, but it puts the button on the other side of the question, which my partner does not want. The final technique I tried was turning on the control wizard, selecting the option group tool, after which I am prompted to label each option. I typed the question answers into the space for the labels, and it worked great and when I was done distributed everything evenly, but there is a limit on how long each 'label' can be, so for answers that are too long it does not work. So, I hope I am not over-explaining, I am trying to be as clear as I can. I am open to different way of just having a question, followed by a series of answers, that can easily be selected by the user, but is also easy for me to format (ie:create the even spacing between each question answer). Also, I should clarify, the questions, followed by the answers, are going vertically down the page. Also, should we begin with something aside from "Create/Design Form"? I understand there may be some issues since I do not understand the linking to the SQL database part. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time. O

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    It sounds like the stacked button in the arrangement is what you want but you want to swap the text and where the option radio button is, you can do that within the option group, the text and the actual clickable control are two different things and you can move those around independent of one another. You'll notice that if you click on the text of the individual option items a larger, darker, square will appear in the upper left corner. If you click and hold that square you can move the control individually.

Ondrea is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    rpeare, Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am playing around with it now to and can see you can move rearrange stacked objects. Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes . O

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.