ecalvert47462 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

emailing a report based on a combobox selection

I am fairly new to access so hopefully I am not asking a silly question.

I am using access 2010...and i have a form with a combobox on it...and in that combobox shows a list of employees names. When i currently select the name of the person that i want, it creates their own individual report of their workload.

What I want to do is to be able to select that person and it generates their individual report and then attaches it in an email to that individual.

Thanks,
    E

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Why is the report generated? Do you have an event handler for the combobox? Is there a button the user clicks? It may be as simple as adding a Docomd.SendObject line of code to your existing code.

Can you post your existing code?

Windows XP Access 2007
    The report is generated when I want to see the individual's workload that they have, I am the only one that will be using it...and when the name is selected, an OnClick event then takes the name I have selected...runs the query and then the individual's report pops up in a pdf.

I want to be able to select the person, it generates the report and then generate an email to that specific person.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Can you post the code in your Click Event Handler?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Option Compare Database
    Private Sub Combo0_AfterUpdate()
    DoCmd.OpenQuery "P Agent Selection Query", acViewNormal, acEdit
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmP Agent Form"
    End Sub

Windows XP Access 2003
    Did you build a report that displays the results you want to email? You mentioned a PDF file? Is this file based on a report? What is the report name?

Can you post the RowSource for your Combo0? It is found in the Data tab of the properties window. Use the mouse right click and zoom into the RowSource to insure you select all of the code and post it here.

The code you posted in post # 5 is opening a query. I do not see an object that can be emailed directly.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I zoomed in on the row source and below is what i copied for the Combo0 box..

SELECT [PURCHASING AGENT LIST].[Purchasing Agent(CXM)] FROM [PURCHASING AGENT LIST] ORDER BY [Purchasing Agent(CXM)];

I did build a report that generates from the query, after a name is selected.

Sorry about all this...I feel so spacey right now..lol

Windows XP Access 2003
    Are you using primary keys for your table PURCHASING AGENT LIST? What is the data type? What is the name of your report? Recommend not using special characters or spaces in names for forms, tables, reports, controls, etc.

Windows XP Access 2007
    No primary keys.
    Data type is text
    Name of report is: Updated SWIP Report

Maybe I'm not asking the correct question.

I open my form, select an employee's name from the combo box and then on click it runs the query and generates the report and it pops up in print preview mode....all i want it to do for me is to put the report in an email as an attachment (which i know how to send object in an email macro) and based on the person's name i selected it will go ahead and autofill the "To:" part of the email with that individual's individual email address..

Windows XP Access 2003
    I simply have not been getting the answers I need to help you. Perhaps you are working on something that is hypothethitacal. Can you post the code in your click control button click event?

Code like this should work in a click event

Code:
    Dim strEmail As String
    Dim strCriteria As String
    strEmail = "EmailAddress@Domain.com"
    strCriteria = "[Purchasing Agent(CXM)] = '" & Me.Combo0.Value & "'"
    DoCmd.OpenReport "Updated SWIP Report", acViewPreview, , strCriteria, acWindowNormal
    DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, "Updated SWIP Report", acFormatPDF, strEmail, , , "Subject Line", "Body of Email", True

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.