Daryl2106 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

combo box for list

Hi,

I am trying to make it easier for my users to find records. Currently they are using the find/replace feature. I am trying a combobox that provides them with a list to choose from.

The form is set up to first return the type (Active, inactive, onleave, gard, etc.) that faculty want to view. A query is ran to return the recors of the desired type. I would like the combo box to populate with the names returned from running the querry as choices. It seems to work sometimes but not others. Any thoughts or will I need to send the DB.

TC,

Daryl

ComboBox1.zip

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Review http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox2.html

If you still need help, provide the db for analysis. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June7,

Thanks so much. I have the two ComboBoxes working well together. When I select "active" students in one cmb it loads the second one with the names of those students who are "active". What was working, but isn't now, is when I select a student from the second cmb (StudentSearch) it doesn't update the form. I know I need an event on update, but I am not sure how to do it. If I rerun the same query I will lose the list of students who are active from the cmb StudentSearch to be used in the next selection. I think this is an easy fix, but I can't figure it out.

The link was excellent by the way.

Thanks & take care,

DAryl

June7 is online now VIP
    The second combobox should be bound to field if you want selected student saved to record.

However, dependent combobox with alias (ie, multi-column combobox) doesn't work as nice with continuous or datasheet view. A work-around is to include the lookup table in the form RecordSource (join type 'Include all records from {the primary table} ...') then bind textboxes to the related fields from lookup table. Set the textboxes as Locked Yes and TabStop No. Can reduce size of combobox so only the drop arrow is showing and sit it next to the locked textbox that displays the related info.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for the reply. The first ComboBox does select from a dedicated lookup table that has only one field ("status"...active, not active, on leave, graduate, etc.). The selection is used by a query to return only those records that match the criteria. The LU_table is not part of the query relationships. It is the fields returned in the query that the remainder of the form text boxes are bound to. The form populates fine. My aim is to have a second combobox (or some other method) that will allow faculty to then select a given student from the returned records.

Is there a way to create a combo box (or set lookup property...not sure of how this works) to a field in the query that will choose from the returned records and populate the remaining bound textboxes accordingly. I think I may be making this more confusing than it is. I just wanted to make sure I was explaining this okay. I will try the above next time I am in the office.

TC,

Daryl

June7 is online now VIP
    The form RecordSource can be a parameterized query. Review http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...tomfilter.html

Alternative method would not use a parameterized query but would instead use code to set Filter and FilterOn properties of form.

Hi,

Thnaks for the link. They are really helpful. I did everything I could following the video instructions and got most things to work the way I want them too...except I can't get the form to requery using the data selected in the combobox.

I wanted to send the DB but the forum won't le me upload any attachments. I zipped it but no luck. I have 25 attachements already uploaded but I can't delete any. Any thoughts on what to do next. Once I can attach the DB I will send it along.

Thanks for all your help.

Take care,

Daryl

June7 is online now VIP
    There is no limit on number of nor total amount of attachments for this forum so I don't know why you can't upload.

Alternative is upload to a fileshare site like Box.com and post link to the file.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.