mt1013 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Display msg box when user picks the wrong file to import (Access 2007)

HI. I would like to know how to code a VBA module that will display an error mesage or msg box if a user clicks on the wrong excel file to import. I'm not to sure if I should look for a unique field that resides in the file...or? I guess the logical thing would be to have a message box displayed if a user tries to import a file that i not similar to the files needed (i.e. if the user tries to click on a file that is not like "Contact*" then a message box will pop up asking the user to pick another file. Any help out there?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The simple fact that the user is selecting the file tells me that you will need to check what the file consists of for verification. I guess you can get file properties from a filesystem object. Not sure if that helps your cause though.

Sounds like having Access just go after the file without the User interaction is not an option.

mt1013 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi. Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'm not suppose to allow access to search for the file automatically because the file changes title each week so it is better for the user to browse for it. Unfortunately the user in this case doesn't have much experience browsing for the file. That' why I wanted to put in some kind of error message that will warn when the wrong file has been select. Haven't done something like this before so I'm not to sure how to use the file properties to open up the file and check for a unique field. Actually, in this case, I thought the name of the file would be a good identifier. Although the file name changes each week, the one constant is the word, "contacts" as part of the filename. Thanks.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Maybe you can dedicate a folder. You can have Access go after every file in a specific folder. If the file name changes but the file type and the folder does not, that is an easy thing to manage. Can you dictate where the file will reside and what the file type is?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Validating the file name includes 'contacts' as well as file type will reduce error, but not eliminate. ItsMe's suggestion for a dedicated folder would be a big help in controlling what user can select.

How is the navigation initiated? If you are using the import wizard, can't run any custom validation code anyway.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

mt1013 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I never thought of that! Thanks. I'll give it a try.

mt1013 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes. ItsMe has some great advice. For what it's worth, the navigation is through a vba module. The code is set up to prompt the user for the file and the user goes to the directory for the excel workbook. Then the file is imported via a DoCmd transferspreadsheet line of code. Thanks.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Do you need help with code to loop through the files in a folder?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.