Helystra is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Indexing question

When using indexes is it ok to index a field by itself (and allow duplicates) and then use it as part of a multi field index which doesn't allow duplicates.

For example. I have Employee Number, First Name and Last name fields in a table. If I index them separately allowing duplicates in the name fields but then index all three fields together so that I don't end up with more than one entry for the same employee is that OK or do I even need to index the fields individually at that point?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    This is for your Employees table? Actually sounds like good idea.

I have never even looked at setting up multi-field index. Interesting. I have one table where this could be useful.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I found it in Roger's Access blog. Seemed like it would be useful for keeping away duplicate entries. I just wasn't sure if doing a single field and then using that same field in a multi field index was a good idea or a no no.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't think it will hurt. Although there is such a thing as overdoing indexing. Indexing on text fields is supposed to be slower than number fields.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010210347.aspx
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I will give it a go and see. If it's too slow then I'll switch it up.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    It's legal, but I'm not sure why you want a multifield index for that application. You shouldn't prevent the database from having two Jose Martinezes or two Jane Greens or two Tran Nguyens, so you need the Employee ID to make it unique, and if you already know the Employee ID number, then the name is redundant as far as lookup keys are concerned. So, what are you trying to achieve by the multifield key?

I'm actually going to use it on the assignment table. I used employees as the example because it was easier. But if I apply the multi field index to the school job and the employee, I won't end up with duplicate entries assigning the same employee to the same job twice.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Ah, now THAT is a good usage. Very appropriate.

Thanks. Remember, I was concerned about that problem and I think this will fix it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.