slee68 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Access adds trailing 9's onto end of decimals. How do I fix this?

This is my first post here, so I apologize if it may be in the wrong place or something.

Here is the issue I am having. Our database is a SQL back-end, that is mirrored thru an access front-end. Most of the users are more comfortable with access. We have an excel spreadsheet, that allows users to prepare data they want to batch import to certain tables. The issue involves 2 tables, both have columns that will have decimals coming in. When the data is in the excel upload tool, it may go out to as much as 4 decimal places, but that is the most precision we will send. Somewhere along the line on the way to the db, these decimals get changed.

For example - I may enter ".46" in the upload tool, export to the db, and then when I go view the record in the db, the value is ".459999999999". However, if I then go into the access db and manually type in ".46" into the field, it saves it correctly as ".460000000000".

I need the database to populate these fields in the exact same way that we send them. Does anyone know what the issue could be? Is it in the excel file? Access? SQL? By the way - The data type in the SQL back end for these columns is decimal(38,18).

Please feel free to ask for more clarification, as I realize there is a lot in information that goes into something like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying to fix this for so long and can't figure it out.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Search on: floating point error

For a start, review https://www.accessforums.net/import-...0-a-28763.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.