emccalment is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Question Travel days.

Now, let me start off by saying that I haven't used Access since I was in the 10th grade.... Approximately 8 years ago. I used to know what I was doing, but now I'm all like . Anyways, I've identified its usefulness for reporting and data management around the office. Everyone else is saying "What's Access? "

But I've come across something I'm not quite sure how to do.

I want to make a field for days people are/have been gone in the year. So, I want it to span multiple date periods. For instance, this person was gone from 1/1/10 to 1/4/10, as well as 12/5/09 to 12/10/09. So for that field entry for that person, it would include all days in those time periods. A tracker for when people are/will be/have been gone. I can't manage to figure out in my mind how that's going to work with relationships and dependancies and all that. Admittedly, I haven't played with them enough to get them fully yet.

Any ideas?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    well Access and VBA generally have plenty of embedded data manipulation ability...so it is definitely capable just a matter of your layout and creativity...

simplist...make a DaysOut Table with Name StartDate EndDate

then you can query it, make a calculated field named DaysOutTotal that is just EndDAte-StartDate will work....

sort by name...put in a report grouped by name with sum....stuff like that....all very straightforward (if one is into databases...)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.