Ruegen is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Have I missed something with date formatting?

I have a form with a date field

the command button from anther form has criteria

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBookingEditAdminStep", , , "BookingDate between#" & Format(Me.txtFrom, "dd\/mm\/yyyy") & "# and #" & Format(Me.txtUntil, "dd\/mm\/yyyy") & "# and StatusID<>5"

however I am getting dates 16/1/2013 instead of just dates 16/11/2013 - it's pulling dates in January - how do I avoid this??

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Dates in VBA need to be in US format.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Dates in VBA need to be in US format.
    I need the dates in Australian (dd/mm/yyyy)

when you say they need to be in us format - if I put 1/1/2013 until 1/12/2013 then I only get January as apposed to if I put 1/1/2013 until 30/12/2013 I get the whole year

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Aside from this madness (which cannot be turned off), just remember the user interface in Access uses the local Control Panel settings to interpret dates typed into the user interface.
    sigh

Ruegen is offline VIP
    I guess my next question is aside from making my regional settings setup in the windows control panel (already set) how should I handle dates?

If I have a field set in dd/mm/yyyy and access swaps it even though I have format(datefield,"dd/mm/yyyy) then how do I handle it so that it gives me the correct filter?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruegen View Post
    I need the dates in Australian (dd/mm/yyyy)

when you say they need to be in us format - if I put 1/1/2013 until 1/12/2013 then I only get January as apposed to if I put 1/1/2013 until 30/12/2013 I get the whole year
    Apples and oranges. What if you use 1/1/2013 and 12/30/2013? Bottom line as I said, in VBA you have to use US format.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

Remember that date formatting is for display purposes (screen or print), or input mask only. These settings do not affect how MS Access stores dates.

Microsoft likes to assume that the whole world uses the illogical date format mm/dd/yyyy, and that's what you need to use in VBA. In your case, though, it is a simple fix. Change the statement in your original post from this:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBookingEditAdminStep", , , "BookingDate between#" & Format(Me.txtFrom, "dd\/mm\/yyyy") & "# and #" & Format(Me.txtUntil, "dd\/mm\/yyyy") & "# and StatusID<>5"

to this:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBookingEditAdminStep", , , "BookingDate between#" & Format(Me.txtFrom, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# and #" & Format(Me.txtUntil, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# and StatusID<>5"

All I did was change the format of the date in the text string - no changes in the data are needed.

HTH

John

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Hi -

Remember that date formatting is for display purposes (screen or print), or input mask only. These settings do not affect how MS Access stores dates.

Microsoft likes to assume that the whole world uses the illogical date format mm/dd/yyyy, and that's what you need to use in VBA. In your case, though, it is a simple fix. Change the statement in your original post from this:

to this:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBookingEditAdminStep", , , "BookingDate between#" & Format(Me.txtFrom, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# and #" & Format(Me.txtUntil, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "# and StatusID<>5"

All I did was change the format of the date in the text string - no changes in the data are needed.

HTH

John
    Thanks John,

I've got formatting on the text fields on forms as dd/mm/yyyy so I assume access will take dd/mm/yyyy and swap it to mm/dd/yyyy with the formatting and then process it correctly. I think this has fixed my problem.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.