psy51 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Inno setup to install split database to users desktops

This is my first installation using Inno-setup. I am trying to install a split Access 2007 database with Access Runtime to be used as stand-alone/desktop app. Access Runtime will be downloaded and installed first if users do not have Access, which most of them will not. I want to be able to send updates eventually so I need the split FE and BE version.

My setup and install code appears to work until I get to my [run] code, where I want my database to run in MSAccess runtime. The error messages all center around the name of my database. It wants me to name “myapp.mdb”, which in my case is a “be_accdb” file. (Error message: Can’t find database.mdb). It does not like that nor "database.accdb" and does not want my exe file. (Error Message: exe file “unrecognized database format”.) I have tried many variations of code.

The following is some of the pertinent code:
    #define MyAppName "SSDExpress"
    #define MyAppExeName "SSDExpress.exe"
    DefaultDirName=C:\{#MyAppName}
    OutputBaseFilename=SSDExpress
    [Files]

Source: C:Files\SSDExpress_be.accdb; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    Source: C:\Files\SSDExpress.accde; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion
    [Run] A script only contains one of the following, but these are some variations I have tried and they are each on a single line:
    Filename:"{reg:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\office\12.0 \Access\InstallRoot\,Path}MSACCESS.exe";Parameters :"""{app}\SSDExpress.accdb"" /runtime"
    Filename:"{reg:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\office\12.0 \Access\InstallRoot\,Path}MSACCESS.exe"; Description:{cm:LaunchProgram,I {#MyAppName}};Flags: shellexec postinstall skipifsilent; Parameters: """{app}\{#MyAppExeName}"" /runtime"
    Filename:”{reg:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\office\12.0 \Access\InstallRoot\,Path}MSACCESS.exe";Parameters :"""{app}\SSDExpress_be.accdb"" /runtime"

So what parameter should I use? or what code would work?
    Also am I correct in assuming that I could not create an install, which includes access Runtime as well? I realize that would be an addition .exe so I assumed that it is better to download it separately.
    Thanks in advance for suggestions.
    Tricia

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I have never used Inno before, but what is it exactly you are trying to accomplish with Inno?

What is SSDExpress.exe? Is this going to be your install pack?

All you need for your accde file to work is a shortcut to its location and for it to be copied somewhere the PC has access to. Same thing if you determine the need to install RT. The PC just needs access to the exe file and for you to launch it.

psy51 is offline Novice
    Thanks for your help. That all makes sense, but somewhere I am misnaming or misunderstanding the order or something as I just keep getting error messages that the setup program cannot find the file I am t
    trying to launch.
    I am trying to create an install package, from my database named "SSDExpress" which is split into FE and BE, install the package and then launch the access database, "SSDExpress" . Within the package I create a desktop shortcut and use the registry keys for MS AccessRuntime to run the program. Inno-Setup uses Pascal language, which is new for me and I gather that my code structure is inaccurate or there is a disconnect between the path that I am giving or???

Windows XP Access 2003
    I have always just programmed shortcuts to do what I needed vs. creating a new registry key. I was looking at shortcuts lately and it seems this might not be an option anymore.

As far as Pascal and Inno, this is all Greek to me. I was just wondering if there may be an easier way to do this. IE, copy a shortcut, FE file, supporting DLL's, then check if Access exists. If Access exists then run the RT exe. I have never tried to launch an app using RT if a full version of Access is already installed on the machine.

As for the path...

What version of Access RT are you trying to install? You won't be able to create the registry keys until after the Access verification process. The keys you are telling Inno to create are probably the error. First, you need to have Access 2007 or Access RT 2007 installed on the machine first for the keys you have described here. You will need to change the path for 2010 to Office 14 and Office 15 for Access 2013.

Also, if you are trying to edit registry Keys, I would be focusing on creating keys to trust the directory paths of your program and supporting files instead of what exe file to use for your app file. I would look into programing a shortcut and just pasting that custom shortcut on the desktop. It has been a while since I tried doing this with a shortcut though...

psy51 is offline Novice

Thanks for help ItsMe

Access RT 2007 along with Access db 2007. I've used MS Packaging Wizard in the past to create an installation for users. But I want to be able to send them updates to their FE, which doesn't work with the accdr file. My users are primarily not techie and and I want to make it all as easy as possible. So they can use a setup icon to install and then, use Access of course to run the program. So far most users do not have Access and if I can package it into the install (after checking if Access is already on their computers) that would be even better. I thought Inno Setup would be an improvement over the PW for this, but I am truly a novist at the installation process so perhaps not.

Again thanks for your suggestions. I am going to work on the Inno script a bit more and see if I can use it.
    Thanks, Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    I have always just programmed shortcuts to do what I needed vs. creating a new registry key. I was looking at shortcuts lately and it seems this might not be an option anymore.

As far as Pascal and Inno, this is all Greek to me. I was just wondering if there may be an easier way to do this. IE, copy a shortcut, FE file, supporting DLL's, then check if Access exists. If Access exists then run the RT exe. I have never tried to launch an app using RT if a full version of Access is already installed on the machine.

As for the path...

What version of Access RT are you trying to install? You won't be able to create the registry keys until after the Access verification process. The keys you are telling Inno to create are probably the error. First, you need to have Access 2007 or Access RT 2007 installed on the machine first for the keys you have described here. You will need to change the path for 2010 to Office 14 and Office 15 for Access 2013.

Also, if you are trying to edit registry Keys, I would be focusing on creating keys to trust the directory paths of your program and supporting files instead of what exe file to use for your app file. I would look into programing a shortcut and just pasting that custom shortcut on the desktop. It has been a while since I tried doing this with a shortcut though...

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by psy51 View Post
    ..... So they can use a setup icon to install and then, use Access of course to run the program. So far most users do not have Access and if I can package it into the install (after checking if Access is already on their computers) that would be even better.
    How many users are you dealing with? I don't think I am seeing the importance of an install pack. All you need to do is make sure the user has the latest version of your FE. To me, this seems like the most difficult part. Just copy and paste it. If they don't have Access, you can email them a link to a copy of RT that sits on the network. Just make sure they have full privileges to the directory. The user will let you know if they can not open the FE or you could inventory the network and perform the install or...

After you have all the users up and running it is just a matter of maintenance. June7 has some code to automate this in Post #2 here
    https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...end-33331.html

Unless you are dealing with 100 users in three cities, I don't see an install pack being worth the time. A2007 has some developer tools available. I believe 2010 has a utility that creates an MSI and you can package RT with it.

If the network is small enough, I would manage it in two phases. Get the initial install rolled out and then move to maintenance phase.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.