Memo Field that continues with same text to next record

This if my first post.
    I am very new so forgive me if i ask several questions.

I have a database, In forms i have two different memo field.
    1. dailymemo. 2. monthlymemo

dailymemo is a text field that is uniqe in every different record. so everyday i write momo in it and it stays with that record, that works.

monthlymemo is text field that i would like to stay the same with each record, if i go to new record the monthlymemo shoud be there with memo i wrote lasttime. but the problem is with new record text in monthlymemo does not stay, if i go to new record it become empty.

so how i can retail the value in monthlymemo so that it is always there no mater what record i go to

What does the underlying table structure look like?

i will have a very complex databese, but for now it is very small.
    i have one table with 25 fields, example. beer,soda,tobaco,loto, food, etc.
    and i have 3 memo text fields
    dailymemo, weeklymemo,monthlymemo
    i then have imported all of these fields in to formus so useer can work without geeting confused, my each day will be one record, so only one record per a day.

in forums i have three text memos. i want daily memo to disapear with each new record or each day, so if i go to next record or next day, dailymeo field is empty so i can write a memo in it again.

however weeklymemo and monthlymemo, i want to retain text in that feiled, i will see same text no matter what day or what record i go to unlike the dailymemo wich only lives with the record

i hope i am not confusing you, so that is what i want to do, i can edit the text at any time but i want the text to be visible at all the time in that memo.

now if someone with knowledge can walk me step by step, i have only been using access for only 5 or 6 days so you will have to explaing it in steps if posible

beer,soda,tobaco,loto, food, etc.

What do these fields represent?

I know your question was about the memo fields, but it looks to me like you have a deeper design problem that should be tackled first.

thank you for the reply

well this is a database for a minimarket, where they sell these things or you can say my family. now they want to keep records of all of these things. for example everyday sales for thos things or the inventory that tey recieve so i am trying to make this database, i have designed easy forms so they can easily input data, and leter they can do all kinds of calculationg and make reports but right now i am just stuck at this problem that i mentioned earlier

Quote Originally Posted by panjabi
    well this is a database for a minimarket, where they sell these things or you can say my family. now they want to keep records of all of these things. for example everyday sales for thos things or the inventory that tey recieve
    OK, all of that makes sense.

All of those things--beer, soda, food, etc.--are not really separate types of things, in database terms. Rather, they are just examples of products the store sells. So, rather than having 1 field for product that stores sales, you should have just two fields: one field IDs the product type, and the other field stores the sales for that day/week/month (whatever time period you are using).

You would do something similar for inventory.

If you could elaborate on what you plan to use the db for and what kind of info and reporting you expect out of it, I could coach you a little more on table design. You might also want to look at some of the templates delivered with Access. For example, Access has both Inventory Control and Order Entry database templates that might make good starting points for you.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewspatrick
    Rather, they are just examples of products the store sells. So, rather than having 1 field for product that stores sales, you should have just two fields: one field IDs the product type, and the other field stores the sales for that day/week/month (whatever time period you are using).
    Here is an example. Your way would be:

SalesDate, Beer, Food, Tobacco, Lotto
    1/1/2006, 10, 20, 30, 40
    1/2/2006, 10, 20, 30, 40
    1/3/2006, 10, 20, 30, 40
    1/4/2006, 10, 20, 30, 40
    etc.

My way:

SalesDate, Product, Sales
    1/1/2006, Beer, 10
    1/1/2006, Food, 20
    1/1/2006, Tobacco, 30
    1/1/2006, Lotto, 40
    1/2/2006, Beer, 10
    1/2/2006, Food, 20
    1/2/2006, Tobacco, 30
    1/2/2006, Lotto, 40
    1/3/2006, Beer, 10
    1/3/2006, Food, 20
    1/3/2006, Tobacco, 30
    1/3/2006, Lotto, 40
    1/4/2006, Beer, 10
    1/4/2006, Food, 20
    1/4/2006, Tobacco, 30
    1/4/2006, Lotto, 40

My way might look harder because it has more records, but trust me, it is far easier to get data of a table structured my way.

wasim_sono is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2013 64bit
    G Aya Noo....

"Ki gal hey punjabi jawab kiun nahee denda" Mein thuadi gal samajh gayan aan. tusi enj karo key following code noo put in ur form at required memo field.

me.[your field].default value = """"&(me.[your field].value)&""""

mey kaya samajh gay key na?

(The all above conversation is in panjabi language based that u r a punjabi guy, If not then I'm extremely sorry]

Rab Rakha.

Wasim

wasim ji shukria per gal bani nahi.
    thank for the reply, but that code did not work for me, it gives me error, "The expression you entered, contains invalid syntex"

wasim_sono is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2013 64bit
    Where u wrote this code? If u go into Visual Basic editor then write this code then u'll find ur required result. I checked it out and found working properly.

Thanks.

By the way from where u belongs? and where u live? make a friendship??..?..

Wasim

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.