Scott488 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Free text within a report

Afternoon All,

I'm a bit of a noob with access, but have worked my way round things and have got to the point where I want to use access to write a report.

Previously I had all the data in access, which excel looked at to produce charts etc, which was then passed to word for the report writing. Although it works, I wanted to try and do everything within access.

So far I have created several sub-reports which have built up the main report, but one thing I haven't worked out is how to add free text. I want to be able to type anything I wish into a part of the report. I have tried using the "text box" which is unbound, however when I carry out a print preview, the text does not show, instead it displays #Name?

Thanks
    Scott

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How have you tried using the "text box"? Did you open report in Design view and simply type something into the textbox ControlSource property? This is an expression and all expressions must begin with = sign. Also, it is literal text and literal text must be enclosed in quote marks: ="type something here"

Consider using a label instead of textbox. Type the text into Caption property. No = sign and no quotes. Use textbox when the content must be dynamic.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Scott488 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    June,

I have tried both of your suggestions (in design view), but the textbox / label does not show in either the report view of print preview.

Scott

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Well, it should if you created them properly. I have no idea what could be wrong. If textbox was showing #Name before, and you have since properly typed the expression, then it should show. If you used a label and typed text in the Caption property, it should show.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post. Identify object involved.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.