sleake is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Error using shortcut to open a database - can't find "workgroup.mdw 1" file

We have a new user who is unable to get into a database. Another user in the same office had no problems.

The other user is using:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp"\\ServerName\ShareName\SFTP\SFTPWorkgroup.mdw" "C:\SFTP Database V2.1 FE\SFTP Database V2.1 FE.mdb

The new user was not able to access the share at all using \\ServerName\ShareName\SFTP until he changed the path to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE" /wrkgrp"\\ServerName.ACCT05.us.companyabbreviation.com\Sha reName\SFTP\SFTPWorkgroup.mdw" "C:\SFTP Database V2.1 FE\SFTP Database V2.1 FE.mdb"

Now he can get into the SFTP folder, but when he uses the shortcut, he gets an error stating Microsoft Access couldn't find the file \\ServerName.ACCT05.us.companyabbreviation.com\Sha reName\SFTP\SFTPWorkgroup.mdw 1" "C:\SFTP Database V2.1 FE\SFTP Database V2.1 FE.mdb" (Note the space and 1)

I created a new shortcut, and I was able to open the db using his target line, even though I can use the shorter one. For the new user, this still generates an error.

Does anyone have any thoughts? He is on the company network, even though he is in another city like the other user. This sounds like a network issue to me -- or maybe something with his computer.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Try this

Browse to the folder where the mdb file is from the client. Use Entire Network so you click on the server name, etc.

When you get to the mdb file, right click and create shortcut.

Drag the shortcut onto the client desktop.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Check and see if he's using the shortcut, or an accidental copy of the shortcut. That "space one" looks like the kind of thing that MS does when it creates an automatic copy of something. If it's the real shortcut, check and see that the filename in the shortcut doesn't have the space one.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Try this

Browse to the folder where the mdb file is from the client. Use Entire Network so you click on the server name, etc.

When you get to the mdb file, right click and create shortcut.

Drag the shortcut onto the client desktop.
    This sounds like an easier way to create a shortcut than typing the Target line. I'll try that. However, we found that the administrator for our project share had not given the new user privileges on the database workgroup. (The privileges are supposed to cascade from the folder to all objects in the folder, but they don't always.)

He got in after I asked users to quit -- and then had to delete the .ldb files, which didn't close. So we made some progress.

Then he got an error related to the linked tables (which I had forgotten about). So now I need to re-link the linked tables to his front end. I think I'll walk him through linking the tables via the network, because not all users are on Acct05. Except for him, they can all get in using the current shortcut, so he'll have to be the one with the different front end.

Appreicate your response.

Windows XP Access 2007
    That's interesting about the space 1. There have been a number of oddities he's experienced today. The shortcut was correct. I'm going to ask him to do a full reboot tomorrow just in case there are things lingering in memory. Then I'll either build him a new front end or walk him through re-linking the tables using the "long form" of the path. See my comment above about not all users being on my company's Acct05. Thanks so much for the response.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.