athyeh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Make my DB go faster

Hi Guys,

Have a new question today. DB has grown to over 200 MB, have lots of reports, queries, forms, and such, and now running anything takes several seconds. Short of moving to SQL what are ways that I can speed things up a bit?

Thanks!

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You could Compile the db. Then do Compact and Repair. You could also create a new db and import everything from the original db.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    a move to the SQL Server product does not improve the speed unless one specifically sets up views as back end filters to limit the data volume that transits the network. ... and that presumes that the cause of slowness is due to data volume transit.

in general the size of an Access database file is not due to the data but due to the quantity of forms/reports which are more graphic intensive - and does not unto itself imply or cause a database to be slow because the graphic elements sit in the front end not the back end and do not transit the network. A 200M file should not be slow.

my general observation is that:
    * XP machines typically have less RAM and this is always a primary candidate for slowness; test in higher RAM PC as possible; the various updates by MS over the years seems to have made XP a bigger OS than alot of PCs' horse power...
    * trial a split db where both front & back are on same PC to eliminate the network and thereby discover what delay the network & server is contributing
    * tables that are links to excel sheets generally are slower; temporarily disconnect those as a trial or import the data into a table
    * other stuff in the background i.e. anti virus that are competing for power & ram - close everything (this actually goes back to the first point about not enough RAM often in XP)

Then you get to design specific points such as forms with lots of tabs that call alot of info and in particular require alot of DLookUp fields to calculate in order for the form to open - so that alot of calculation is needed every time.... along with sorting....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.