eduardolm is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Question How to create a subform related to a form for products

Hi all....

I'm kinda new to access and I'm writing a database for managing stocks and products.
    I want to create a form to input sub-parts that will later compose the full product. These parts are also composed by different types of raw materials and sub-parts.

What I have:

1 - A raw materials table (everything the company uses)
    2 - A simple form for entering the sub-parts.

What I need:

1 - To modify this form by including a subform that can allow me to create new (sub-parts 1) records and at the same time select the raw materials and even other sub-parts (and their quantities) that will be used for manufacturing the (sub-part 1).

I'm having trouble trying to set it up by myself... Can anyone please help me on that???

Thanks in advance.

PS: Please help me with a complete step-by-step procedure 'cause I know a little vba and I'm still a rookie on access.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Your scenario is somewhat confusing, mainly because you're using the name 'sub-parts' for what appear to be different components used in different points in the manufacturing. Just to be clear would the scheme be

Products
    |
    Subpart1s
    |
    Raw Materials & Subpart2s

where Raw Materials and Subpart2s both being used to make up Subpart1s, which in turn are used to make up Products?

Or would it be

Products
    |
    Subpart1s
    |
    Subpart2s
    |
    Raw Materials

where Raw Materials are used to make up Subpart2s, then Subpart2s make up Subpart1s, which in turn are used to make up Products?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thank you for the reply.... Let's try to make my scenario easier to understand...

1 - I have a table with raw materials. This table contains all the raw materials that are used by some company.

2 - I'm trying to create a form for entering subparts. This form should enable me to select the raw materials and their respective quantities that will be used to produce the subparts.

There are some subparts that are made up only with raw materials. In the other hand, there are some subparts that are made of (raw materials + other subparts.)

For instance, there are 6 different raw materials (A,B,C,D,E,F).

There are 4 different subparts (G,H,I,J) which are made respectively of (A,B,C)..... (A->G; B->H; C-> I)

Subpart J is made of (G,H,I,D,E,F)

As mentioned before, I already have a raw materials table that include among other raw materials (A,B,C,D,E,F)

I want to create a form for entering subparts (G,H,I,J) that will let me select each type of raw material for each type of subpart. (Subpart G requires raw material A; subpart H requires raw material B and so forth)
    After I already entered data for making subparts (G,H,I), I want to create a new subpart record (J) which will require raw materials (A,B,C) and subparts (G,H,I).

Subparts (G,H,I and J) should all be stored on the same table.

Did the explanation help? Is my scenario understandable now? Is there a way to do that with access forms?

Thanks again for the help.

I'd like to thank everyone that tried to help me.
    I just figured it out by myself.... I created a table to handle the details of subparts1. I linked the subparts1 ID with this new details table. Then I created a union query to enable the search both in raw materials and in subparts2 tables. I also created a query to find out repeated items on the details on the auxiliary table. After all that, I just created a subform inside my subparts input form to display the subparts2 and raw materials that were used to manufacture those subparts1.
    Works like a charm....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.