Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    stildawn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    EPIC fail

Some how and I dont know how, but one of the tables isnt working. When you try to access any reference it, it says "Record Deleted"

In full Access, when you try to open the table it says "Record Deleted"

What has happened???

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    It crashed. Make a copy and save it to your C drive somewhere.

Do a compact and repair on the original and then open the table to look at the records. Do an AtoZ sort in different columns to bring the goofed record to the top. You may or may not be able to get some data from the table. Delete that record.

I did a repair and the repair report had these three errors

Two of these errors had either Japanese or Chinese symbols in the Error Recieved field???

There were two lines that were all ###### out, I have deleted and now it works

Windows XP Access 2003
    Those two records are now gone. You can try to see which records they were by looking at the table's PK. See which two records are missing out of the series. Then you can rebuild from your backup copy. That is, the back up from just before it crashed.

Ok will look into that.

Is there a way to have Access automatically backup say every 10 minutes or so?

Further to the errors, any idea on how it was causes? I'm trying to replace a high instable shared excel workbook, so stability is key so I need to nail down any things like this. I did a few google searches but nothing on those numbers.

Thanks

Windows XP Access 2003
    Those error numbers are probably describing the symptom of the cause. You need to catch errors as they happen. That is done with VBA. It is the developer's responsibility to code in error traps. As the user interacts with forms the code will check for and trap all errors. When done correctly, the user will never see an unexpected runtime error.

The program allowed the user to do something that did not translate to proper VBA.

As for backups, I suppose you could have a second DB sit on a server and do a copy paste procedure of your production DB. I normally do this sort of thing using Windows Server. I don't suspect it would cause interference, however 5 min does seem like a lot.

Its just happened again.

Its only the OFR stuff so I am going to split the DB in two so there is only one table in each.

The problem is that I can't reproduce these problems on any computer with access installed.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by stildawn View Post

The problem is that I can't reproduce these problems on any computer with access installed.
    This makes no sense to me. Why can't you make a copy of the DB and start fiddling around with it until it breaks?

I just spent an entire day error trapping a new import procedure. I got it working to my liking yesterday and spent today behaving like an unruly user might. I constantly revisited the code to determine if something could break. Plan for all contingencies.

I'll be doing that overnight I think, the database is urgently needed unfortunately

I have just split the db into a backend and front end, hopefully that will save alot of the corruption.

THanks

God this is difficult

I split the database, but the frontend doesnt recognise the backend when run in Runtime

Works fine on my full access

Windows XP Access 2003
    You have to link the tables. The front end will have only the queries, forms, modules, macros, etc. You have to set the appropriate form to open at startup.

The tables will be linked. In order to link the tables you need to use the UNC, Universal Naming Convention.

\\ServerName\FolderName\DBname.extension

When I open the front end in Full Access, it shows the tables are links (a little blue arrow next to the table names), and all the forms open perfectly.

Does RunTime not pick this up, how would I link all the forms correctly?

Thanks

This is the error I am getting:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error_zpsd22d1b8c.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	14129

Its clearly seeing the database backend, I even changed the location to the correct \\server\folder\DB format as you can see, but its not recognizing it some how??

This error only occurs in Access Runtime??

Windows XP Access 2003
    Linked tables work just fine in RT.

You need to make sure that you follow the UNC path when you create the link. Do not use a mapped drive.

You must click all the way through the network, starting with "Entire Network" and select the correct domain, etc.

You can practice by just clicking through from the start button from your Windows desktop. Navigate to a file on the server. In the address window, after you click in it, it should display the server name. You do not want to see a Drive Letter. If you use a drive letter, then every PC must use the same drive letter. They must use the same drive letter when they map the drive.

You can preview your DB in RT using a computer with full Access installed. Simply change the last letter in the file extension name from "b" to "r", make a copy first. I don't know if this will work on mdb files or not.

accdb becomes accdr

Windows XP Access 2003
    You may have to many subfolders. Try something closer to the root. Also, is that a $ symbol ? I have never tried that before....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.