Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you are using the Autonumber data type for all of your PK's you should not have a problem with multiple users adding records from a form.

If you want 10 forms that are very similar, you should use the copy paste method I mentioned. Then you can change the form to how you need it, for each copy of your original template form. There are other ways to use templates within Access but this is probably the best way for your application.

Having said that, I have to question why so many forms that are so similar in nature. Especially for such a simple DB. Typically these nuances are managed via VBA. Changing recordsets by adjusting a WHERE clause here and there is stuff that can be done on the fly.

Bottom line, you need to do what it takes to get the job done. If the VBA thing is getting the best of you, then using query and form templates may very well be the way to proceed.

stildawn is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I think its cause I'm not that good at access yet. All I have learned I have learned from scratch over this weekend just gone, going into this on friday I had never opened access before in my life haha.

Basically the multiple forms just filter down the records displayed in the listbox that the users use to select which record to work on.

Actually here is a picture of a current form... This form as you can see only displayed records with the Team = "PCM/OPS for planning"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	form_zps8e77f6fb.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	14118

I'm planning to make multiple forms that are identical except that records shown in the listbox (for selection) teams will change. So one for each different team.

Cheers

Windows XP Access 2003
    Well, at least you didn't choose something complicated to learn with. I mean, you could have gone and tried to build a supply chain logistics DB over the weekend or something. Then you would really be in trouble.

You should probably just go with copy out the forms and queries from a template. The most important thing is your tables. If you get a lot of data in tables that don't work well together, then you will be in serious trouble.

You can always rebuild the application part. Restructuring data tables is another story.

Would there be a way to have like a combobox on the form above that would filter which TEAM the listbox shows? (Basically choose which query the listbox generates from?)

Windows XP Access 2003
    That would be the way to go. You would adjust the listbox's rowsource off of the combobox value. I would use SQL in the combobx's afterupdate event to reassign the rowsource of the list box .

And that would still populate all the fields on the rest of the form? Ok I'll have a look into that.

Windows XP Access 2003
    The second link I offered in the other thread has some examples of what I am talking about here. The sample cascading combos is the same principle. The SQL examples are about as user friendly as they come. You can copy/paste your own query and field names into the SQL examples.

Still not the simplest thing to understand though.

Ok Ill give that a go.

Thanks for answering my questions

Going live today hopefully.

Just a few random questions that are making me nervous

- All my forms have a requery event on a timer (1 minute for the display forms, and 5 minutes for the add/edit forms). I'm assuming these timers are started when the form is open? Does this translate across all users? So if one user opens a form and starts the timer, will that timer be running through all the other users Access Runtime's? I think this is a bit of a silly question but yeah haha

- Is there any maintence I need to do frequently to keep the database working? Its rather simple, just two independent tables and a few forms displaying that table, is there any type of maintence, like repairing, cleaning or anything?

Thanks

Oh I managed to compress all the edit forms into one using combo boxs like we talked about

Sorry

I have a "ADD" button on my main forms, there are two add/edit forms one for each table... The tables are just AFR and OFR and are completely separate.

One of my users is getting a Runtime error when trying to add a shipment, can someone advise why this might be happening? Looking at the code in the access macro builder (not VBA). It has this:

GoToRecord
    Object Type
    Obect Name
    Record New
    Offset

So I'm guessing it might not know which table to add the record to? How can I fix this? Its weird though cause it works on all the other users (including myself) computers?

Thanks

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by stildawn View Post
    - All my forms have a requery event on a timer (1 minute for the display forms, and 5 minutes for the add/edit forms). I'm assuming these timers are started when the form is open? Does this translate across all users? So if one user opens a form and starts the timer, will that timer be running through all the other users Access Runtime's? I think this is a bit of a silly question but yeah haha
    I have not tested it but I believe the user will have their own instance of the form, regardless of weather or not the DB is split. One PC will keep an eye of what is going on using its own program files within its OS. You should test this requery event. A forms requery should cause it to look at its original recordsource. Similarly any controls, like listboxes and combos should revert to their original rowsource.

- Is there any maintence I need to do frequently to keep the database working? Its rather simple, just one table and a few forms displaying that table, is there any type of maintence, like repairing, cleaning or anything?
    You want to create a backup by copying the file or running the utility in DB tools on a frequent schedule. Also, Compact and Repair should be done on a regular basis.

Oh I managed to compress all the edit forms into one using combo boxs like we talked about
    This is impressive.

Thanks ItsMe

Any idea on my second question, its one of the more pressing so far

thanks

Worse come to worse thinking about it I can just split the database into two database files, one for AFR and one for OFR, since they are entirely separate there is no real need for them to be in the same database file.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks ItsMe

Any idea on my second question, its one of the more pressing so far

thanks
    Simulate the event on a computer with a full version of Access and click OK to launch the debugger. There is not a debugger in RT environment.

Ah ok. Might be hard to reproduce but we'll see, thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.