Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jmk is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Unable to access VBA code: Error message "Project is not available"

I have recently upgraded from Excel/Access 2003 to 2010. I am working on moving a macro database from a co-workers computer to my computer since her last day is coming up. She is still on Access 2003 and the macro was created on 2003. When I open the macro in 2010 and try to run one of the modules it does not work and gives me this error:

MacroError.png

"The format in which you ar eattempting to output the current pbject is not available"

The function is supposed to export a list to excel. My immediate reaction is to look at the code to see where it is reffering to; however, when I try to access the VBA editor an error pops up that says "Project is not available."

There doesn't appear to be a password, but I am unsure.
    I tried unsharing the database, no progress.
    Then I tried adding/removing a digital certificate, both no luck.
    I also tried decompiling the database and that didn’t work either.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by 'macro database' - all code is in macros? What do you mean by 'open the macro' - you mean the database?

What is the file extension - mdb, mde ? What do you mean by 'decompiling'?

Is this a split design?

If you want to provide db for analysis, refer to link at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jmk is offline Novice
    Hi June7, thanks for your response! Due to corporate policy I cannot upload the database so I'll do my best at explaining the issue. Also a side note, I personally did not program this database, it is from my predecessor.

To clarify the issue isn't in opening the database. I can open, close and run almost all of the needed functions. Almost being the key word, the final step to the database is exporting the report to excel and this is the step that is not functioning. It appears that a link in one of the modules may be broken. To correct it I tried to view the VBA code. The issue is when I go into the developer mode and attempt to look at the VBA code for the modules. I can’t seem to access it because when I attempt to view the code in the VBA editor screen I receive the error message “Project is not available.” I’m not sure what safe guards (if any) the previous developer placed on this but I cannot seem to unlock the code.

I transferred 2 databases, the other database allows me to view and edit the VBA, and this one does not.

What I mean by ‘decompiling”: I read a few online forum answers where people have had similar problems and decompiling and debugging was among them. I truly have no idea what it means, but I tried the steps that they outline. I did not save them otherwise I would post it along with my response.

jmk is offline Novice
    Oh, and the file extension is .mdb

jmk is offline Novice

Unable to access VBA code: Error message "Project is not available"

Hi, I’m having an issue with a transferred database. I’m a bit of a novice and I personally did not program this database, it is from my predecessor so I'll do my best at explaining the issue. It was originally created on Access 2003 and I currently have 2010. The file is a .mdb extension.

After the transfer, I can open, close and run almost all of the needed functions. Almost being the key word, because the final step to the database is exporting the report to excel and this is the step that is not functioning. I think that a link (to our shared drive) in one of the modules may be broken.
    To correct the possible error, I tried to view the VBA code. The issue is when I go into the developer mode and attempt to look at the VBA code for the modules. I can’t seem to access it because when I attempt to view the code in the VBA editor screen I receive the error message “Project is not available.” I’m not sure what safe guards (if any) the previous developer placed on this but I cannot seem to view the code.
    I googled the error message and attempted a few fixes:

Unsharing the database, no progress.
    Adding/removing a digital certificate, both no luck.
    Decompiling(?) and debugging the database and that didn’t work either (this actually broke it and then I had to re–transfer the database)

Any help is much appreciated!! The employee who currently works on this process is leaving the company Friday and I wanted to be sure to have a running database for processing come Monday.
    Last edited by June7; 10-09-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: mod edit: merged threads

June7 is online now VIP
    So this is NOT a split design? It is an all-in-one?

I don't know about decompiling.

Debug/Compile is available on the VBA editor, which you can't seem to open. How did you attempt to open?

Can you open an object (try a form) in design view? If so, pick an event property (maybe OnLoad), select [Event Procedure], click the ellipses (...) - does the editor open?

Try holding down shift key as db opens to override any code execution and many project settings. Does this help?

What do you mean by 'transfer' - just made a copy?

Are you able to import all objects to a new db file?

Is there an AutoExec macro?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jmk is offline Novice
    It appears to me to be locked. All the editing funtions are greyed out and anything I click on that isn't greyed out gives me the same error message "Project is unviewable." or "unavailable"

Could it be locked somewhere, or in an execute mode?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Maybe you can start by pasting links to all of the different threads you started. Cross posting is usual frowned upon because it causes people who want to help, work harder than they have to.

jmk is offline Novice
    I'm sorry, I don't to cause anyone to work harder than they have to. I am just very anxious to get this issue resolved before we lose our current team member who handles the process.

I have worked mostly with excel so originally I posted in my excel forum and they asked if I had posted in an access one so I found this one.

Here is the thread for the other forum.

http://www.excelforum.com/access-pro...ml#post3432665

Nothing has worked so far. I am wondering if the database is in an execute only mode? I'm not sure how to check or reverse if it is.

Windows XP Access 2003
    check post 11 in excel forum

June7 is online now VIP
    If you cannot import objects to a new file or find the original developer, I believe you are stuck with:

1. always running the db from the workstation it now works on

2. rebuilding from scratch and data could be lost

There are some third-party utilities that claim to be able to unlock a protected db, but I have no experience with them.

Since the db does not demand a password from you upon opening (I think you indicated that earlier), I don't know how even the original developer could get past this.

An mdb is not 'execute only', an mde would be.

You tried the hold shift key approach?

Have you tried modifying db from the other workstation, not yours? If there are securities set in the mdb, that would be the best place to remove them as those features were removed with 2007.

jmk is offline Novice
    Thanks for all of your help, I reallly appreciate it. I will look into keeping the current computer running while we work on a new database option.

June7 is online now VIP
    I was assuming the other workstation still running Access 2003. If not, the issue of modifying db to remove security is the same.

jmk is offline Novice
    I just noticed when I tried to open the User Level Security Wizard that I received an error message stating that "You can't run the Security WIzard with and MDE database"

How is it running as an MDE, but saved as a MDB?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yeah, something is not adding up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.